Do Kittens Remember Their Mother?

Skylsters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do kittens ever forget who their mom is? My kitten is 5 months old and his mom is a stray that lives in my backyard (she’s spayed now) he’s been strictly indoors since 8 weeks old but he still meows for her and goes crazy when she sits on the other side of the house. I don’t want to let him out to spend time with her until he gets his vaccines. My other cat goes outside, please no negative comments he is trained to stay in our backyard and never leaves our property and I plan to do the same when this little kitten gets bigger.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's a really good question. Hopefully members who've kept mama and kittens will reply, and share their observations.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say yes, kittens do remember their mother’s by scent. Perhaps not forever but at least for some months. Likewise moms remember their kittens for a while.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would say he probably remembers her, it hasn't really been that long. Especially if she never really left the area, her scent is still around and he can see her. I wouldn't assume they will get along seamlessly right away when you do let him out though. He is older (no longer a helpless kitten) and she will likely make sure his knows his place and is likely going to treat him like another adult cat not a kitten anymore.