Do Kittens Grow Out Of Biting?

Starliteny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten Sasha likes to play fight, and will bite, but even bites when I pet her. I've tried squirting a water bottle, and it works for a while, but then she starts again later. She doesn't do it all the time, she is usually very friendly and loving, she also follows me wherever I go, and even sleeps with me. Has anyone had experience with kittens biting but grow out of it?

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They eventually will calm down. But you need to stop playing when she bites. She needs to learn that biting causes the fun to stop. Tell her no and hiss at her like her mamma would if she bit her. Her mamma wouldn't hesitate to bat her upside her head. That's why it's recommended to only adopt after the 12 week mark to give their mamma a chance to socialize them and teach them manners.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't speak for everyone but when my cat daisy had kittens, they would bite, attack feet under the blanket and all that, I didn't do anything to deterrent it, I know I should have but they grew out of it on their own, so i believe some cats do need to be train to not to bite while others grow out of it on their own, like my cats.

anyways loudly saying no or ow and hissing is usually what I see recommend on here. I would avoid spraying her with water because it can damage your relationship with her and rarely works.

here some articles
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats

Teach your kitten how to play nice

5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Starliteny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I really don't like using the water bottle myself. I guess this just might take patience and time.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, first of all, I would like to welcome you to TCS! It's lovely to meet you! :thumbsup:

As advised by M mwallace056 , I would definitely not use the spray bottle. I did this with my first cat as an adult because I'd read that was the proper way to train cats. It only made her afraid of me. Sadly, I thought I was doing the right thing at the time.

Cats and kittens who love us don't realize how tender human skin is, and often bite without realize they are hurting the ones they care for. They are used to play-fighting with other kittens in that manner. And like human babies, they have the need to teethe or chew. Kittens do grow out of the biting stage. My adult cat Daisy will still bite a bare foot, but that's something she just can't resist. If I'm wearing socks, she doesn't see a problem. She will also give little nips to get attention on occasion, but these are just a sign of affection. Speck wouldn't bite me if you paid him in treats, so it depends a lot on the cat. They are both the most sweet, loving creatures; it's just a difference in personalities. Speck loved to bite as a kitten and he was a pretty rough and tumble boy.

With time, I'm sure your girl will grow out of it. It sounds like she adores you.

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is what I do. It seems to work so far. I never use hands to play, only give affection and care. I always use a toy, feather stick, pencil something. When they go to bite my hand I do a very low Nooooo - that sounds a bit like a low growl, like their mom would do if they did something she didn't like. This has deterred all cats I've had from biting my hand.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always have been one to allow cats to play rough--real rough. I mean bite, scratch and draw blood rough. Every one of them grew out of it around a year of age. None seemed to retain any significant amount of rough play as adults.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hissing works because it is the way mom cat and siblings tell a kitten they are playing too rough, that hurts, stop it. You may have to repeat it, because some kittens forget or think maybe it's okay now.

Practice a bit before you try it on him. You may spit a little, this is alright, he won't mind.

I've only heard of one case where it didn't work.