Do I need to Confine my spoiled bottle baby?

niki-nicole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My family took in a 2 week (guessed by the owner of the farm cat) rejected baby. I've been following Hannah--the Kitten Lady--in bottle feeding and such. At what seemed like 4 weeks, I switched to the Phase 2 KMR (all the local pet store had) and added a tiny bit of wet food to it--and pumpkin. His poop was runny and mucous like. At that time, I also started showing him the litter box and stimulating him in it and such.

For a time, he started waking up and going in the litter box all by himself. Now he doesn't and he is about 7 weeks old.

Ever since we got him, he has had the run of the house. Mostly, when he was younger and just ate and slept, this meant we would carry him with us and have a bed set up for him to nap and play in. He would get out for just a few minutes but never stayed awake long at that age. We did this because we didn't want him shut away in a bathroom where we couldn't see him--soooo cute! And we wanted him to get used to the other cats in our house and for them to get used to him. Our youngest cat--about a year old--took over some of the grooming and it was so great for him to get some affection from other cats! They are best friends now.

But now that he is awake a lot more and more confident, he has the run of the first floor and is not really using his litter box. If I notice he is looking for a spot to go, I will put him in a box and he used to go. Now he jumps out and seems to tell me that he didn't have to go at all! He was just looking! He goes back to playing and as soon as I turn my back, he pees or poops somewhere he isn't supposed to.

I don't have any way to barricade him in a smaller place--especially now that he will jump off the couch.

In the past when we have taken in older strays--4 of whom were under 6 months with the youngest being 1 month--they spent time in the bathroom getting used to humans and our cats. This guy has never been contained.

Do I need to shut him in the bathroom--fixed up with beds, toys and litters--until he only goes in boxes?

The two main rooms he is in have in each room a regular hooded box with Sustainably Yours Natural Cat Litter (clumping) for our adult cats and a shallow tray with the news paper litter. He used to use the shallow one--as mentioned above--but then would only use the Sustainably litter (much finer, like sand) when we would set him in the bigger one. So we added another shallow tray with the Sustainably--as he hasn't ever eaten his litter--and he used that a few times before deciding no litter box was good enough. Last night I created a barrier between the couch and the tv and had his litter box in it and toys and beds, but when I woke up, he had not used the litter box and had pooped twice outside it.

I know he won't be perfect at this age, he just seems to be going backwards. I have put pumpkin in his food for a few weeks now because his poop isn't very solid with it and without it is liquid. He also refuses to eat out of a dish and still only uses the bottle. I check the nipple and no bitting yet and I know he will switch in his own time. I think it is an emotional support thing since he didn't have his mama, but I could just be putting that on him.

So, tl;dr--do I need to confine him to a small bathroom until he figures out the litter? Any tips on getting him litter trained? He is 1 pound 10 oz if that helps with judging his age.
70807211883__2283A552-C8BD-4B83-9DFA-59482908CEB8.jpeg
IMG_6334.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think your extremely adorable kitten needs to see the vet. His poop is not normal, and runny poop indicates he may need treating for parasites or an intestinal bacterial infection. Vets will usually prescribe Albon or Metronidazole for this, and I’m betting that when his poop returns to normal that he will once again use the litter box normally.

So no, I do not think closing him in the bathroom will solve the problem. He will just cry all day and that will break your heart.

N niki-nicole

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
N niki-nicole
I agree these diarrheas do seriously contribute to his litter problems. Solve the diarrhea - and the problem will probably disappear by itself.
And yeah, look out the others may get these parasites from the kitten. Even if ex strays usually have a good immune system - strays with a weak immune system tend to perish before long.

Re feeding. I dont recommend Stage II. If you dont have access to stage one, try to get goats milk. Or even full fat youghurt....
Full fat youghurt is also a mild probiotic, so it may too help somewhat.
goats milk (esp raw goats milk) nor youghurt wont help against parasites; which we think he has.
But will get against disturbed intestinal bacterias, perhaps caused by stage II kmr...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

niki-nicole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! He is cute and it would break my heart which is why I haven't confined him yet.

His poop is a 5 and 6 when he is on pumpkin. I assumed that was because he was on the bottle and I was introducing some new food (adding canned and now Smalls which is what he will be on until he is old enough for raw).

He did get treated at 2 weeks (and again at 3 weeks) with a parasite thing--sorry, my brain is not remembering the name for that kind of medicine nor what it treated. It was yellow and didn't need to be refrigerated.

If this information doesn't change your recommendations, I will take him in ASAP with a poop specimen!

Also, regarding the Stage II--is there a reason why? I think I can track down Stage I or goats milk but is it okay to change after he has been on it for a little more than 2 weeks? Just curious!

Thanks again everyone!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, regarding the Stage II--is there a reason why? I think I can track down Stage I or goats milk but is it okay to change after he has been on it for a little more than 2 weeks? Just curious!

Thanks again everyone!
Im really following a recommendation of our forumite Catwoman707, with big experience of rescued moms and orphans... It was her finds here, which I follow blindly.... Alike I borrowed some other of her experiences... :)

And Catwoman, in her turn, began to use goats milk as an alternative after my suggestion, when powdered KMR by PetAg wasnt enough. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your kitten may have been de-wormed, but that does not treat for parasites. I do still think you should see your vet, though not all parasites show up.

It may seem like the Stage II is causing the diarrhea, and it could be that, but also parasites tend to show up once they have a chance to develop, which would be about the same time as you switched formula.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

niki-nicole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You were all right! It was Stage II that was causing him diarrhea. Once we stopped that, his poop got better and he started using the kitty litter again. Not long after that, he started eating wet food. He is doing great!

Thanks for all your help!