Do I need to add liver?

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do I need to add liver to Hare Today whole ground food that has liver and other organs included in the grind?

I didn't think so at first, but I just read something somewhere that you still need to add liver with Alnutrin and now I'm not sure. Does that mean that liver has to be included in the grind or that you have to add MORE liver than what is in the whole ground animal because of nutrient loss after grinding?

Ok, I just looked up Dr. Pierson's recipe for rabbit and she says that if you're using a whole ground animal then you don't have to add additional liver so I feel better but just wanted to run it by you guys?

emandjee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If your grind already has liver and other organs like kidney, thymus, spleen, etc, it should not require more liver. Consuming too many organs will cause your cat to have looser stools, and then you'd need to rebalance it by adding in more bone matter into the diet, such as chicken necks or wings, for example. A good guideline for a cat eating raw is to look at thier stools. It will be drier, smaller in bulk, usually lighter colored, and diminished odor that fades to almost nothing in 5 minutes. Good luck on feeding raw! 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, you're mixing messages in your initial take. :)

If you use Alnutrin to make a balanced meal, you need to use meat and liver.

UNLESS you are using whole ground animal mixes. Those have all the organs. Using Alnutrin with those just provides for nutrient loss due to grinding and oxidation. But the base ingredients are all there. :)

The bottom line? Unlike other premixes, Alnutrin does not provide liver IN it. But whole animal does, so you don't need to add liver.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you both so much! That's what I thought at first but the more research I do the more confused I get! Maybe I need to not worry so much.

Thanks again, you guys are so helpful

remmiebrandt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, you're mixing messages in your initial take.

If you use Alnutrin to make a balanced meal, you need to use meat and liver.

UNLESS you are using whole ground animal mixes. Those have all the organs. Using Alnutrin with those just provides for nutrient loss due to grinding and oxidation. But the base ingredients are all there.

The bottom line? Unlike other premixes, Alnutrin does not provide liver IN it. But whole animal does, so you don't need to add liver.
Hi can you point me to what premix to use? I am just thinking of  feeding home cooked and didn't realize there was so much measuring involved. I basically was thinking just cooking some chicken or turkey breasts and sometimes liver or fish and then shredding it and adding supplements.  They won't eat the same meal every day - they won't eat the same meal the same day. I wasn't going to grind anything - just cook up regular meat in a crock pot till its soft and shreddable. I'm not sure if there's a problem with that.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi can you point me to what premix to use? I am just thinking of  feeding home cooked and didn't realize there was so much measuring involved. I basically was thinking just cooking some chicken or turkey breasts and sometimes liver or fish and then shredding it and adding supplements.  They won't eat the same meal every day - they won't eat the same meal the same day. I wasn't going to grind anything - just cook up regular meat in a crock pot till its soft and shreddable. I'm not sure if there's a problem with that.
It's more expensive, but look at TC Feline Plus or U-Stew.  U-Stew is at the Know What You Feed site.

citrineblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the UK we have access to Felini Complete from Zooplus which is a popular choice, I tend to get from the European site, however, TCFeline and mix in the correct ratios ie like I was doing two separate batches , one batch TCFeline another Felini complete then mix the two batches. That way I reduce the cost of using the TCFeline but keep the taste. Make sure however as you use Felini complete you cannot add bone or liver to that batch and depending on what you have ordered from TCFeline you cannot add bone or with some mixes liver as well.