Do I make complaint to clinic owner or clinic manager?

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a legitimate complaint against a veterinarian. I'm not sure who to complain to and how. Do I call or go in person?

The veterinarian may have cost me nearly $1200 in unnecessary veterinary care because of something they failed to do. The clinic owner is related to them which complicates the matter. So I'm not sure who to complain to.

I want to be civil about this and resolve it quickly. I think I found a fair way to resolve the issue but I'm not sure they will agree and if I can trust them to be honest. If they fail to resolve this issue in a fair manner, I will be forced to make a complaint to the state veterinary board and BBB (I will not tell them this as it can be perceived as a threat).

What the vet did is completely unacceptable, but I do believe it was an honest mistake. Her solution was not beneficial to me, only to the clinic. I took all the necessary measures to protect me and my cat before agreeing to veterinary care. She botched everything up by not following the agreement.

I will not say here what specifically the issue is. I just need to know who to complain to and if I should call or go in person.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Without knowing details it is hard to say.You can PM me if you want.
Basic advice would be to call and set up an appointment to speak to her and or the clinic owner. If you just show up it can be seen as aggressive.
One thing I have found is that most veterinarians are lousy at anything relating to people skills. They get into vet medicine thinking they won’t have to deal with people, but that’s all they do.
Also often when confronted, if they ask an attorney what to do, their attorney, in my experience, always tells them to say nothing and not to speak to the client.
I would call and try to either set up a time, or you can try emailing them but they might not see it.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a legitimate complaint against a veterinarian. I'm not sure who to complain to and how. Do I call or go in person?

The veterinarian may have cost me nearly $1200 in unnecessary veterinary care because of something they failed to do. The clinic owner is related to them which complicates the matter. So I'm not sure who to complain to.

I want to be civil about this and resolve it quickly. I think I found a fair way to resolve the issue but I'm not sure they will agree and if I can trust them to be honest. If they fail to resolve this issue in a fair manner, I will be forced to make a complaint to the state veterinary board and BBB (I will not tell them this as it can be perceived as a threat).

What the vet did is completely unacceptable, but I do believe it was an honest mistake. Her solution was not beneficial to me, only to the clinic. I took all the necessary measures to protect me and my cat before agreeing to veterinary care. She botched everything up by not following the agreement.

I will not say here what specifically the issue is. I just need to know who to complain to and if I should call or go in person.
Have you talked to anyone that works there?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How BBB Complaints Are Handled | Better Business Bureau®
Veterinary state board websites

The BBB does not necessarily have to get a response from the business. It can be ignored and remain unresolved.
State veterinary boards sometimes specify on their website what is considered to be eligible for a complaint and this can vary from state to state.

I agree that making an appointment and having at least one discussion is the first step. If you start with a formal complaint, you did not give them a chance to settle it and, if you subsequently file, you will be asked what first step you took and what their response was.

Keep a log and document everything.