Do I have to feed "kitten" food?

buddybellamom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I used to come here a lot before my 2 fur babies crossed; I found you all when my less than 2 year old boy (Buddy) was dx'd with kidney failure.  I learned so much here about feeding my babies good food. Sadly, Buddy did eventually pass on, as did my other baby (Bella, from FIP).  Both babies were under 3 when they left us, and once Bella went, Buddy crashed and burned 2 months to the day later.

Now it's a year and a half later, and we have a new  baby to love...and will find her a companion. She is, best guess from a few very animal-wise friends, about 4/5 weeks old (waiting for Vet appointment, can't get in yet). She came to us (we've had her for 4 days) drinking kitten milk, using the litter, stable on on her feet and a ball of energy.  We've never had one this young, as Buddy and Bella were 4 mos when we got them from the shelter.  I started her on a gruel of Wellness kitten + the milk, gradually lessening the milk. She eats it like  champ!

So...now to my question, finally.  I know I will only feed her wet, learned that here!! But do I have to feed her "kitten" labeled food?  It seems that all the "kitten" labeled food is all the same flavor, and I don't really want to feed her the same flavor food for a year, then try to get her used to different flavors; I already know how hard that is.  Currently, I am feeding her pretty much free-style, and she eats about one can of the little tiny Wellness each day.  The Wellness came with her, but yesterday I needed to get some more and also got her some Performatrin (Pet Valu) brand, and I got her some Nature's (?) Instinct "topper" raw freeze dried thingies,designed to go on top of Kibble (but she won't be getting Kibble). She loves them both!

BUT: "kitten" labeled only, or can I give her varieties now so she gets used to eating many flavors?  I remember I was buying Performatrin, Wellness, EVO and one other I can't remember the name of once I switched B&B to all wet when Buddy got sick.  

Sorry to ramble on so...but I do love this site!  I suppose I need to see if my name can be changed though, since B&B will soon be Kitt and ???

Thanks in advance for any thoughts & suggestions.  Oh, and I do need to be kind of budget friendly, altho I think I can swing a mix of some freeze dried raw in there; I've used Primal before and now Pet Valu also carried Stella and Cheweys (is that still a good brand?).

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally, my Aby has never eaten kitten food. The breeder weaned him right onto regular raw food. I kept feeding the raw when I got my Aby and he grew up just fine 
There is no kitten raw food.

Many people do prefer to feed kitten food since it has more nutrients for a growing kitten. You can feed adult food, just need to feed more of it to meet a kitten's needs. If you prefer to ensure your kitten is getting all of the right nutrients in the right amounts and variety of meats, you can feed mainly kitten food and rotate in a little adult canned food.

Stella and Chewy's is a good brand of freeze dried raw
Nature's Variety Instinct is also a good one. NV just renamed their raw http://www.instinctpetfood.com/instinct-raw-market-for-cats

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I have kittens that young without a mama cat around, I include KMR formula as part of their daily fare until they are 12-16 weeks old.  I just mix it up more dilute than for newborns and feed it at breakfast and bedtime along with 4health grain free chicken & turkey canned food.  They also get tiny pieces of cheddar cheese, which they love.  I think tht if whatever food you give them approximates what they would get in the willd with mama (there is no difference between what she eats and what she feeds them other than her milk), it should be just fine.