Do I Have Time For A Kitten?

Steven23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I recently took a kitten in from my fiancée mom because she got really sick from it and i thought i had plenty of time.

So I work everyday from 8-230, wake up at 630 leave at 7 go to work till 230 then get home around 3 have to make dinner shower and do some chores, play with kitten about 15 min and then have to leave at 430 for class which goes to 830, get home at 9 then have about an hour until i need to go to bed and out of that hour I also have some chores and play about 15 minutes with kitten.

So I am just wondering is 30 minutes enough to play with a kitten everyday thats about all the time i have, realistically.
I have had him about a month and he is very hyper and doesn't like to relax at all, i have set a camera up and he literally goes to bed as soon as i leave but when im home its just game time with him. I cannot eat dinner at my table without him making me bleed or anything, i cant do hw, or anything without having to put him in a separate room. I have tried many ways to train him to stop doing bad things but none are working.

IM wondering if I just am not spending enough time with him and dont say get another kitten cause thats not in the budget.

Any tips that have worked for you would be greatly appreciated

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming you live alone and there are no other humans around while you're gone? No, that's not enough time for a kitten, I'm afraid :(. If you had 2 kittens to keep each company, that could work, but you say that isn't an option. I think if he grows up with that little human interaction, he's likely to have a lot of behavioral problems. An adult cat might wprk for you but kittens need a lot of interaction to turn out OK.

It's usually pretty easy to re-home a kitten. Better to do it now than when he's an obnoxious teenager with bad habits.

because cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is just what I was going to say- you need another kitten. I understand that it is not in the budget. There is no 100% right answer sometimes, but cats, like humans (whether we admit it or not), are social creatures. Cats are just picky about their companions. If a cat does not have a cat companion then you have to replace that fundamental social need. If you care for/love this cat and feel the cat is better off with you, even in this situation, then make it work. Otherwise it's back to the shelter, unless you have someone who can take the kitten. Again, if you really care for the cat and feel you will have more time in the future, then I wouldn't worry too much and just do the best you can. BUT your cat needs stimulation and lots of it and you will need to provide it or trouble could come down the road. Best wishes.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is he? An adult cat would be fine with those hours, so if you can get through the kitten and adolescent stages you may end up all right. If he is attacking you and making you bleed, I'm guessing he's very young and should outgrow that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Steven23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is only 10 weeks so I am assuming he will outgrow his biting and clawing me, I'm ok with it for now, I understand he is young and he does not understand.

Yeah I am not quite sure how much time I will have in the future. I mainly took this cat because it was out of good will but I mean I soon graduate and start a 8-530, by the time I get home it will be 630 and dinner 730 then bed at 10. so thats a little more time, and in a couple months my fiancee will be moving in but she will be just as busy with a job and school so idk. I don't really wanna give up but maybe it is the only option with how busy I am and will be.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worked two jobs, and/or high stress many-hour corporate jobs most of my life...and owned a cat or two (occasionally three) cats most of my life. I know you said not to tell you to get a second kitten....but ;).

At 10 weeks, he's still trying to figure out how to play and how not to play with humans. He'll outgrow the rough edges.

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, to TCS. I just want to add, I have an 11 month old male cat, My word, he is just beginning to let ME have some private time. He played NONE-sTop. during his kitten months, devoured his meals as if he never saw food.. used the litter box Quick b/c he wanted to hurry and not miss any action. I have been told some. Breeds remain kitten-like. For 2 or 3 years. Yikes ! . A good re-home, not the shelter is my advice

Steven23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, to TCS. I just want to add, I have an 11 month old male cat, My word, he is just beginning to let ME have some private time. He played NONE-sTop. during his kitten months, devoured his meals as if he never saw food.. used the litter box Quick b/c he wanted to hurry and not miss any action. I have been told some. Breeds remain kitten-like. For 2 or 3 years. Yikes ! . A good re-home, not the shelter is my advice
yeah i finally am getting some alone time or me time he is more cuddly in the past week. But I may be getting another kitten soon to keep them occupied

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with the others that only interacting with the kitten for two short time periods isn't going to be the best situation for the kitten.

Having two kittens would be better, but know that they are likely going to be extremely demanding of your time when you are home or they may chose to not interact with you much at all.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hundreds if not thousands of cats and kittens will be euthanized today because they have NO home. I don't think you should feel guilty. There are lots of interactive toys and ways to enrich the kittens life, and kittenhood is short anyway. Treat puzzles. rotate toys. Birdfeeders out side windows. Our stray had to stay in the back room but she loved watching baby TV.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kittens definitely need a lot of time. I recently adopted a 12-week-old kitten and even with my 2-year-old cat to play with her and keep her occupied, I spend 3-4 hours each day with the kitten, playing with her and training her in good behavior. Keep in mind that this is the ideal training period to teach them all sorts of good habits - coming when called, good litterbox habits, scratching on cardboard/sisal instead of your couch, not biting or scratching humans, accepting claw trims and baths, etc.

Even if you get a second kitten to keep them both occupied, you will still need to spend time with them both to instill those good habits. And boredom and poor training leads to issues later, when they will be far less adoptable than now. Definitely think hard about whether it's in the kitten's best interest. If you can find a good home for him, then I would consider that. But kittens mom has a good point too; if the alternative is ending up in a shelter, then a home with you is absolutely better than no home at all.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure my cats consider snuggling during the night as time spent with them. Talking to them while you do something. Get a basket of toys where you're cooking and sling them around. Generally the kitten will play with each toy a few minutes and your time investment is a second to toss the toy. Even if they don't fetch they love to chase.
Some use the treat feeders to put the cats whole mean in if kibble is fed.
I want to make it clear I don't think it's wrong to rehome the kitten but you shouldn't feel guilty about keeping it either.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure my cats consider snuggling during the night as time spent with them.
I agree with that. The many years (decades) I was a workaholic, I never once felt like any cat I owned was neglected. A few hours at home working on the computer or a "luxury hour" watching TV, hangin' out with the cat(s), and 6-8 hours in bed. The cats had food, water, vet care, AC in the summer and heat in the winter. They knew they were loved. :lovecat:

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you are considering a second kitten, please consider adopting a youngish adult cat from a shelter or rescue. You get several advantages with an older cat:
- they are past some of their teenage freak-outs
- a slightly older kitty can help teach the kitten manners
- a 1-2 year old cat will still have plenty of energy to play with a kitten
- this cat will have been fixed and have all the basic vaccinations
- unfortunately, there are lots of year-old cats at rescues and shelters. You'll have your choice of color, fur length, size and purr-sonality. It's much harder for these cats to find homes, since so many people want kittens instead.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that most adult cats don't need a lot of attention and are happy to snuggle at night. But, in my experience, kittens raised without a lot of human interaction and no feline companionship often end up with some bad behavior problems :/. And kittens are usually fairly easy to re-home. But this is a good update, glad to hear it!
yeah i finally am getting some alone time or me time he is more cuddly in the past week. But I may be getting another kitten soon to keep them occupied

Steven23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah i am currently going to get a 7 month old cat from a friend/ supposedly he is very cuddly and nice, only reason they cant keep it is there other cat is very territorial so they just fight alot

Steven23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittyo
This popped up on my FB feed and I though of you.
it is a great idea, idk if it will only because like when i am at work or school i cant really be on my phone or anything. but thanks for the offer

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
it is a great idea, idk if it will only because like when i am at work or school i cant really be on my phone or anything. but thanks for the offer
yeah i am currently going to get a 7 month old cat from a friend/ supposedly he is very cuddly and nice, only reason they cant keep it is there other cat is very territorial so they just fight alot
I haven't check the device out but it's interesting and getting another kitten is probably the best idea of all.

Steven23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah im bringing him home Saturday afternoon, hopefully he does good