Do I Bother Testing My Cat For Fvr?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what i was reading l lysine is mostly what is given to cats. my cat has always had watery eyes, and she'll sneeze once every few months. i always forget to mention it to my vet, because she doesnt always have watery eyes. some days she seems more awake, other days she'll sleep more.

is there anyway to test her from home? i already took her a few weeks ago for her yearly check up and dont want to stress her out by taking her to the vet again.

is it worth knowing definitely? or do i simply try adding the supplement to see how she reacts?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The suppliments won't hurt her, but the newest evidence is that they won't really help, either. I waffled on this one for a while, even went outside and paced a bit. This is my thinking...this is intermittent and fairly mild. You might consider calling the vet, describe the symptoms, and ask if it warrants an extra trip in, or if he can make a note on her chart to test her the next time she is in unless the symptoms increase in severity. Sorry, that's the best I can do on this one!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The suppliments won't hurt her, but the newest evidence is that they won't really help, either. I waffled on this one for a while, even went outside and paced a bit. This is my thinking...this is intermittent and fairly mild. You might consider calling the vet, describe the symptoms, and ask if it warrants an extra trip in, or if he can make a note on her chart to test her the next time she is in unless the symptoms increase in severity. Sorry, that's the best I can do on this one!
No problem! i appreciate the help ;)

is there anything the vet can give her if it ever does worsen?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is treated symptomatically, but I believe you know that already. There are opthomalic drops should she develop corneal ulcers. And antibiotics during flare-ups to support the immune system and prevent secondary infections. SIGH...I wish I could give you more encouraging answers, but this is just one of those darned things. HOWEVER...every article I read (and I read a good many, trying to find concrete answers for you) says that FVR is definitely related to stress, so low doses of chamomile tea, oh, say, 1 tsp 3 x daily, might make for a calmer kitty with fewer flare-ups.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is treated symptomatically, but I believe you know that already. There are opthomalic drops should she develop corneal ulcers. And antibiotics during flare-ups to support the immune system and prevent secondary infections. SIGH...I wish I could give you more encouraging answers, but this is just one of those darned things. HOWEVER...every article I read (and I read a good many, trying to find concrete answers for you) says that FVR is definitely related to stress, so low doses of chamomile tea, oh, say, 1 tsp 3 x daily, might make for a calmer kitty with fewer flare-ups.
thank you so much for taking the time to help me!
unfortunately Kitty tends to get stressed really easily. lol shes a spoiled kitty and any changes freak her out. i think it flared up recently just because i took her to the vet recently. lol

ive been paying attention to her, and notice she has some days where shes super energetic. and some days that she seems a bit more tired. on the days she seems tired her eye are watery.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Then the chamomile tea may do her some good insofar as it does an excellent job of reducing stress in cats (and humans).