Do compressed air cans work for aggression?

Jingles000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some people say that compressed air helps to deter aggressive behaviours. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it safe? If so, what spray have you used, and how did you use it?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spray cans are supposed to be for keeping cats away from places where they shouldn't go.

Countertops where they can get into foods and things that aren't good for them or where they can contaminate things.
Stovetops where they can get hurt or burned.
Dangerous places where they can get injured.
Doors where you don't want them to escape, outside.
Workshops and workbenches where there are dangerous things.
Rooms where you don't want them to go and mess things up.

Spray cans aren't supposed to be used on behavior issues. For that, you need to use cat-psychology and training.

For aggression, try to distract the cat from the source that's causing it.

Redirect the cat's energy to something more constructive (or less destructive) like "killing" a toy.
Reward the cat for obeying with praise, petting and treats.
Remove the source of anxiety/aggression so that the cat doesn't get upset so much.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is this for a feral/stray cat hanging around outside that is bothering/disrupting your cat(s) or for a cat in your home? For the former, it might be acceptable - however it would be better to try to find the cat's owner or contact a rescue group to trap a feral. But for the latter it is not really a very wise choice in attempting to change undesired behavior.
How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat – TheCatSite Articles
Cat Behavior Problems [What to do and what not to do] – TheCatSite Articles

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The above posters are correct. The basic problem is that most aggression stems from fear (even though it may not always seem that way). So making a scary noise is only going to make things worse.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't speak for how it works for training purposes (I personally would not do this) however, once one of our cats found her way into our attic and was missing for quite some time. My husband finally found her hiding spot but couldn't quite reach her. He decided to get the keyboard spray can and directed it towards her back and wow, she went flying out, right downstairs! So for getting cats out of tight spots, it worked LOL

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never used the compressed air for training, but it must work. My cats halt what they're doing and run off any time I use an aerosol can. The cats just seem terrified by them.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best solution too get my boys to do something is a bribe with "Wisker Lickens" It works every time.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some people say that compressed air helps to deter aggressive behaviours.
It does not. Aggressive behavior is not normal behavior and stems from something that's disturbing the cat. Find what's disturbing your cat and deal with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jingles000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone. I will not use it. It’s my younger cat that attacks my older one. I really only want to deter the one cat and the spray would scare both of them and I don’t want to do that.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. I will not use it. It’s my younger cat that attacks my older one. I really only want to deter the one cat and the spray would scare both of them and I don’t want to do that.
My younger Male Cat whom is 11 months younger than his housemate also a neutered male, is quite aggressive. The older cat finally got tired of the constant attacks. It took the older Cat about 1 year to get his act together.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah when the brothers play it is wrestlemania & to an untrained eye might look like a actual cat fight. Real cat fights have blood, yeowling, clumps of fur & if it is bad enough pee.

Nowsometimes teenage kittens (5-24 month olds) will get it in their head that they can use the senior resident cst has a plaything. My guy and his brother sometimes do this to their smaller sister and it annoys her (but they all love each other.) What works for us is: stopping it in it’s tracks (you will not pick on your sister in front of me ..... oh look here is a toy!), redirecting their energy onto a wand toy or distracting them with those hexabug mice (I put 2 down at once to make it more exciting) & lastly giving little sis a break from the boys for an hour in a catroom.

If you really want a safe way to do it, use a penny can ..... but be prepared for it to scare BOTH cats!

Jackie & Nick play fighting, Jackie & Nick snuggling attached:

Attachments

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats wrestle all the time. That's just the way they are.

What you've got to do is set limits for play.
Think of what limits you might have for a couple of kids, playing and wrestling around the house.
Of course, you'll want to set limits so somebody doesn't get hurt or things don't get broken or messed up but, also, just consider limits for the good of the order.

Maybe it's okay for kids/cats to wrestle during the day but, other times, you want peace and quiet.
Decide on what the "House Rules" are and stick to them.

With a little training, you should be able to teach your cats what your House Rules are.

If cats are wrestling and they go above your comfort level, tell them, "Easy!"
If they don't listen... "Hey! QUIET!"
If they still don't listen, you can come in to separate them and, maybe, distract them with toys or something.
After that, if they keep at it, you can send them to their rooms for a fifteen minute "Time Out."

It's, literally, the same way you would handle a couple of three-year old kids... "Three Strikes" then they get sent to their rooms. ;)