Do Cats Tend To Dislike Wheat Based Litter?

Issy86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We bought some Catsan Natural litter which is wheat based and our kitten completely avoided her tray! Before there were any issues I promptly changed back to clay and she used it again straight away. Just wondered if in general cats dont seem to be keen on it?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats like it because it’s soft and others don’t because it smells and feels different than what they are used to. If you are switching litters you want to do a gradual mix of the new litter into the old. But sometimes even with that the cat refuses to use certain litters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Issy86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some cats like it because it’s soft and others don’t because it smells and feels different than what they are used to. If you are switching litters you want to do a gradual mix of the new litter into the old. But sometimes even with that the cat refuses to use certain litters.
I can see why the smell would be off putting to them, I didnt like it myself. Happy to go back to the clay and so is she :)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used wheat litter for an elderly cat who didn't walk around enough after using the box to get the litter off her paws. She did wash and the litter was ending up inside her. She was happy with it. We used it when we got our last kitten who was 5 weeks old when she was rescued. She didn't mind the wheat litter, nor did she mind
changing to the clumping later. I think it is an individual like/dislike.