Do cats smile?

wafflesnomnom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know we've all see Grumpy Cat and there's AngryPearl, and it seems like their facial expressions are stuck in those 'emotions' regardless of their mood, but I was wondering if cats smile? Sometimes I feel like Waffle's mouth curls up when he's sleeping and happy, but that could just be me projecting. Do some cats just naturally have mouths shaped so it looks like they're smiling to humans?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
My cat Ozzy often looks like he's smiling.  I like to think it's because he's happy, but I'm pretty sure it's just the way his mouth is shaped.  

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know Oreo smiles!  He shows his moods quite frequently.  He's given me a grumpy look before and I've even seen a "steamy" angry look on his face before.  But he definitely smiles when he knows it's meal time!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if Eclipse smiles.  His eyes seem to show expression.  And his walk.  He has this jaunty walk when he's happy or getting something special.  It's very cute.

Fluffy's a tortie.  Not sure if she smiles but she has more facial expressions than Eclipse. 

zenciljim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think they smile with their purr's, but they just don't have the same facial muscles for expression that we do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wafflesnomnom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What about when they like curl and uncurl their front paws as they're purring? 

rpandcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Somewhere north of Mexico and on the ocean.
Oh--I love the paw thing. Or when I have her on my lap and she looks at me and sticks a paw on my face.

I think my cat has an expression that looks like smiling, but it's her cheeks--and there's a separate expression that actually is smiling.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The curling and uncurling their paws is called kneading. Cats do it especially on very soft surfaces, like a soft sweater. It's because the softness reminds them of their mother's breasts, which they knead while they are nursing to keep the milk flowing. Kittens also purr while they nurse. So when they do that, they are remembering a very happy time when they were warm and comfortable and had a full tummy.

Last edited:

defanged

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
toki's mouth is almost shaped like a perpetual smile - - when she's deeply relaxed, her tongue sticks out

cat mamas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've read in several places that when cats give you that slow blink, it's cat body language for a smile! That seems to fit well with my own cats' behaviour - when they're being friendly or saying 'hi', they often give you a little blink.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wafflesnomnom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I've read in several places that when cats give you that slow blink, it's cat body language for a smile! That seems to fit well with my own cats' behaviour - when they're being friendly or saying 'hi', they often give you a little blink.
Oh man, I read that the slow blink was like a cat kiss/hug and it took Waffles a little over a month to slow blink at me. First time he did it he was meowing like crazy running around the house and ended up in the bathtub meowing and I was getting exasperated at what he wanted to play and so I run to the tub and he sits there, slow blinks at me and I melt and end up playing with him however he wants :p 

cat mamas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting! Maybe it means a smile AND a kiss/hug! I read about a new company trying to get a Cat Translator product off the ground recently - which turns their various meows into actual words - would love to hear cat messages!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Interesting! Maybe it means a smile AND a kiss/hug! I read about a new company trying to get a Cat Translator product off the ground recently - which turns their various meows into actual words - would love to hear cat messages!
Along with the head butt, the slow blink is a way cats communicate with each other. It a "Hi! I see you and I'm not a threat to you". It's a friendly greeting. The kneading is more of an I love you. Kittens do it to stimulate milk production in mama. Adults do it because it brings them back to being with mama- without the actual nursing. 

cat mamas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, gorgeous.

And then there are the many meanings of the purr, of course - from affection, to self comfort when they're in pain.

They are fascinating creatures who don't need to actually speak!!