Do Cats Recognize Their Human Outside The Home?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Bourbon managed to escape one time and after an hour of searching I found her near the house, but this thought keeps me bothered at most times until now: Can our pets recognize us outside our homes? I mean, dogs do. But what about cats?

When I finally saw her sniffing the pavement I called her name but she did not respond, like the way she responds inside our house. When I got near her, she looked at me with those un-recognizing eyes and ran from me again. Every inch I got near her, she moved 5 steps away. Her look was a total "who are you?" expression that I had to grab her to bring her back to our apartment. She was actually trying to wriggle free from my grasp on our way back home.

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know but I always felt like cats recognize everything by smell rather than eyes. If I have a shower he will sniff me up and down like to "get to know me", and if I clean the house he will panic as if he doesn't feel at home anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know but I always felt like cats recognize everything by smell rather than eyes. If I have a shower he will sniff me up and down like to "get to know me", and if I clean the house he will panic as if he doesn't feel at home anymore.
Makes sense, but why did she run each time I got close? She could have already "smelled" my human scent by then.

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Makes sense, but why did she run each time I got close? She could have already "smelled" my human scent by then.
She could just know that your intention is to take her home and she wanted to be out. But I used poor choice of words - I don't mean he recognizes my smell, it's more like he recognizes his smell on me / my clothes / the house. If he can't smell it he becomes visibly more cautious.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beau would frequently escape. Once we figured out that he was consistently going into the neighbor's shed, we would get as close as possible without going into their yard, calling his name and shaking treats. He would tentatively come out (we think he was overwhelmed by the surrounding buildings and unable to find his way home), but as soon as he saw us, he would run over.

Beau wasn't able to recognize home, but he always recognized us :petcat:

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Beau would frequently escape. Once we figured out that he was consistently going into the neighbor's shed, we would get as close as possible without going into their yard, calling his name and shaking treats. He would tentatively come out (we think he was overwhelmed by the surrounding buildings and unable to find his way home), but as soon as he saw us, he would run over.

Beau wasn't able to recognize home, but he always recognized us :petcat:
Now this makes me more worried. Maybe my Bourbon intentionally does not want to recognize me outside our home. :(
She used to be a street cat. When I rescued her the vet said she was about a year or more in age.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
She could just know that your intention is to take her home and she wanted to be out. But I used poor choice of words - I don't mean he recognizes my smell, it's more like he recognizes his smell on me / my clothes / the house. If he can't smell it he becomes visibly more cautious.
She was a homeless cat before I rescued her. Maybe she misses her life outside now that she is a totally indoor cat.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smell is clearly important to recognition for cats (non-recognition aggression being the clue) but I wouldn't think you would smell different outside to a keen cat nose. Regardless of theory, I can tell you that with my indoor/outdoor cats, its quite simple: they run if they think I'm going to take them back in and they aren't ready. If they think I'm just happy to see them, or they want to come in, they will come over for pets. They 100% recognize me and would never do that to a stranger. Something different might be going on with your cat...or not. Hard to say.

Last edited:

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She was a homeless cat before I rescued her. Maybe she misses her life outside now that she is a totally indoor cat.
Mine wasn't but if I open the door he will want to go out too. Outdoor is so much more fun. It's unfortunate there is no way to safely let cats out. Makes me want to become rich and buy a huge house and build a fake jungle in it. Lately I realize that all my dreams of becoming rich have something to do with pleasing the cat :p

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Smell is clearly important to recognition for cats (non-recognition aggression being the clue) but I wouldn't think you would smell different outside to a keen cat nose. Regardless of theory, I can tell you that with my indoor/outdoor cats, its quite simple: they run if they think I'm going to take them back in and they aren't ready. If they think I'm just happy to see them, or they want to come in, they will come over for pets. They 100% recognize me and would never do that to a stranger. Something different might be going on with your cat...or not. Hard to say.
Bourbon is too wise for her own good. Just this morning my husband was preparing to take her to the vet and she hid in the most impossible place, delaying the process. She knew! She sensed!

Maybe she does recognize me outside but she is like " Here goes my human again depriving me of the glorious outdoors!"

Oh well, life with cats.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That could be Maria, or it could be that because of past experiences they assume that their human approaching outside automatically means being taken back inside. If the weather permits, perhaps make an effort to make nice outside. I try to make a little time when getting the mail, garbage, jogging or whatnot. Basically any time I see them outside unless its right after pulling the car in, when I make sure not to interact.

Last edited:

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat recognizes my wife and me me through the big picture window in our living room. I think the issue with not 'recognizing" outside is less recognition, and more over stimulation. Think how most cats react when you use a vacuum cleaner, outside can be a bit like that.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats definitely recognize me outside, most of them are indoor/outdoor cats, one even enjoys going for walks with me and the dogs. However I do have one cat that seems to go into panic mode sometimes outside. I try to keep track of him (he isn't the brightest cat) but sometimes I forget he is outside and the other cats have left him to go hunting, then something scares him. He basically goes into flight or fight mode, and ends up running and even hissing at me and my husband, he generally calms down when we pick him up and bring him in though.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have indoor/outdoor cats and one who was feral until 3-4 months old. I've had the "run away" moments outside too. I think it depends on your cat and the situation on how to interpret it.

My girl, Rocket, was feral when she joined us. I had to socialize her and it was a drawn out process. I started with her in a crate and gradually expanded the space she had. How this impacts the outside is that I noticed that new rooms she'd often not recognize me right away or be more skittish. Once the room was comfortable she'd be more relaxed and less likely to scatter on sight. However, if I sat down and let her come to me all was good. When she was reintroduced outside I did a very similar process of slowing expanding boundaries and calling her back. I noticed the same thing that she would recognize and respond if she was comfortable/safe but be jumpy if she wasn't. It took a good year for me to be able to walk up to her outside without her running but sit and call she'd come. Carrying her? She's a wiggle work anytime she's carried.

On the other hand my boy, Link, will do the whole "you can't catch me!" game most of the time. I follow him slowly and eventually he rolls over because the game is up. I can carry him inside without too much protest most of the time. There are moments where you can tell he doesn't immediately recognize me but once I say his name and sit down he comes right over.

So all that long explanation to say, if your cat is comfortable outside and used to your voice they are playing. If your cat is startled or not normally outside, all their instincts are on high alert so they jump first and ask questions later. I think in your case of your cat getting out, she was on high alert and didn't recognize you immediately. Even once she did, she was still worried about everything else too much to relax enough to come. I generally recommend sitting on the ground talking to a cat who got outside, preferably with some treats in hand or to toss their way.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
That could be Maria, or it could be that because of past experiences they assume that their human approaching outside automatically means being taken back inside. If the weather permits, perhaps make an effort to make nice outside. I try to make a little time when getting the mail, garbage, jogging or whatnot. Basically any time I see them outside unless its right after pulling the car in, when I make sure not to interact.
I currently live in a place (Middle East) where tolerance to pets are not that great, although there are also several animal welfare groups here. I do love to take my cats for a walk sometimes, but there are no nearby family parks where animals are allowed. In fact, there are no dog or cat parks here.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
I have indoor/outdoor cats and one who was feral until 3-4 months old. I've had the "run away" moments outside too. I think it depends on your cat and the situation on how to interpret it.

My girl, Rocket, was feral when she joined us. I had to socialize her and it was a drawn out process. I started with her in a crate and gradually expanded the space she had. How this impacts the outside is that I noticed that new rooms she'd often not recognize me right away or be more skittish. Once the room was comfortable she'd be more relaxed and less likely to scatter on sight. However, if I sat down and let her come to me all was good. When she was reintroduced outside I did a very similar process of slowing expanding boundaries and calling her back. I noticed the same thing that she would recognize and respond if she was comfortable/safe but be jumpy if she wasn't. It took a good year for me to be able to walk up to her outside without her running but sit and call she'd come. Carrying her? She's a wiggle work anytime she's carried.

On the other hand my boy, Link, will do the whole "you can't catch me!" game most of the time. I follow him slowly and eventually he rolls over because the game is up. I can carry him inside without too much protest most of the time. There are moments where you can tell he doesn't immediately recognize me but once I say his name and sit down he comes right over.

So all that long explanation to say, if your cat is comfortable outside and used to your voice they are playing. If your cat is startled or not normally outside, all their instincts are on high alert so they jump first and ask questions later. I think in your case of your cat getting out, she was on high alert and didn't recognize you immediately. Even once she did, she was still worried about everything else too much to relax enough to come. I generally recommend sitting on the ground talking to a cat who got outside, preferably with some treats in hand or to toss their way.
That makes perfect sense. Also, when I was chasing her, I was also distraught and my nerves high as I really thought I had lost her (one hour was a long time for me, especially here where I see cats being ran over by drivers). Maybe she also picked up those emotions and got a little edgy as she saw me approached her.

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As others have said, it's likely your kitty didn't want to be herded back inside. The last time Smo slipped out she kept walking around in the garden acting like she didn't hear me calling for her to follow me in - I could have been talking to a brick for all she cared. With yours the excitement probably added to it.

Smo used to belong to my landlord, who gave her to someone who dumped her outside for 2 months - I didn't see her at all in that time and she was living in a new neighborhood in a different city. About five minutes after I got there to retrieve her and started calling for her, she popped out of nowhere and started rubbing against my legs and purring - she knew the sound of my voice, and she knew my smell and how I looked. I don't think cats forget you...they just don't like to be told what to do lol.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
As others have said, it's likely your kitty didn't want to be herded back inside. The last time Smo slipped out she kept walking around in the garden acting like she didn't hear me calling for her to follow me in - I could have been talking to a brick for all she cared. With yours the excitement probably added to it.

Smo used to belong to my landlord, who gave her to someone who dumped her outside for 2 months - I didn't see her at all in that time and she was living in a new neighborhood in a different city. About five minutes after I got there to retrieve her and started calling for her, she popped out of nowhere and started rubbing against my legs and purring - she knew the sound of my voice, and she knew my smell and how I looked. I don't think cats forget you...they just don't like to be told what to do lol.
I wish I could be able to make her understand that outside is NOT safe; that she could be ran over by a crazy driver, get lost or engage in a fight. I wish I could make her understand that outside there is no easy access to food or water and soft bed, air-conditioning and belly rubs. She probably misses her rough life in the streets. And I would definitely not be able to sleep at night anymore without her by my side. :(

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish I could be able to make her understand that outside is NOT safe; that she could be ran over by a crazy driver, get lost or engage in a fight. I wish I could make her understand that outside there is no easy access to food or water and soft bed, air-conditioning and belly rubs. She probably misses her rough life in the streets. And I would definitely not be able to sleep at night anymore without her by my side. :(
Yes!!! I know exactly how you feel, I've also made Smo indoors-only when she used to spend most of her time outside (before the being dumped fiasco). She sometimes gets restless being inside all the time, but I couldn't bear to see her get hurt outdoors.