Do cats normally snuggle less in warm weather?

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sigh. It's that time of year again. Boo hoo!! Every late spring, I lose my snuggle bunny, and it leaves me so sad. Seems especially bad this year. He stays close, but sleeps on the floor or under furniture during the day. At night, he might sleep a few hours next to me, but that's about it. He acts like he WANTS to sleep next to me on the sofa, but walks away. It's like he's uncomfortable. We both miss the closeness. Any ideas? Ive thought about buying one of those cooling pads they sell for dogs and keeping it on the sofa, but at the same time, I'll wake up to find him asleep in the hot sunny kitchen window. I keep the a/c at 71°-72°, which sounds comfortable for a cat. In winter, I keep it around 68-69°. He's healthy, aside from the herpes eye thing (the treatment of of which is not further endearing him to me..[emoji]128575[/emoji]), but in spring he always seems to sleep a lot...away from me. Normal?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think it's just the normal way of things.. sorry..

I'm having a wonderful time with my two at the moment.. Winter in Australia

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of mine doesn't snuggle ever (not with me) but my little girl has become super snuggly now it's cold. In summer she usually sleeps on my computer chair though and only comes in for some quick morning cuddles :(

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jasmine keeps trying for lap time even though it's sweltering in here, and I keep having to push her off because it's just too hot for a hot water bottle in my lap!  I hate to do it, but the heat gets to me, but not her.

Margret

sprin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats definitely become less snuggely. Robin was sort of hilarious about it, because she would really want to snuggle but she'd get too hot. So it was a constant rotation of her crawling up in my lap or at my side, then leaving for a few minutes to cool down, then coming right back over for snuggling.

Last edited:

impossible cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think this is completely normal in the south it gets hot early and seems to last forever, but when its cold I introduce my cat as my furry tumor because she is constantly on my lap or sitting at my side. Now sinces its miserably hot she just likes to lay on the tile floor in the kitchen.