Do cats need as much as the recommended feedings on cat food cans?

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right now, I am syringe feeding Charlie Fancy Feast cat food. His favorite. He has an ulcer on the roof of his mouth and can't eat very well on his own. He is surprisingly doing much, much better being syringe fed around the ulcer. He weighs 8.5 pounds. Fancy Feast says I am supposed to feed 1 can per 3 to 3.5 pounds a day. That's almost 3 cans. I am pretty sure Charlie did not eat that much ever. But, are we supposed to be feeding that much food? Or is every cat different? Any ideas? He is also getting a weight gainer supplement added to the food. 1 tsp = 25 calories.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The main issue with not getting enough calories is hepatic lipidosis or fatty liver. The rule of thumb to avoid that is at least 15 calories per pound of a cats ideal weight. Depending on age metabolism 20 to 25 calories per pound is right for maintaining weight. For your guy's weight 180 calories should be enough and the small cans of Fancy Feast are between 80 and 100 calories each. I don't think almost three cans especially with the supplement added is necessary. I would think that two cans with the supplement would be plenty.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep weighing him. If he is maintaining or gaining a tiny bit, you're doing fine. If he loses, up the amount. His weight is the surest indicator of whether or not he is getting adequate food.