Do Cats Have Hidden Agenda's ?

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Missy is a semi outdoor cat, allowed to go out when I'm at home and staying indoors when I'm out. She is spayed. When she started going outside a young (semi ?)feral male showed up in the garden. I suppose he has a place to stay, he seems well fed and in good condition. I tolerate him as long as he does not come indoors to eat Missy's food. When he does I drive him off. Missy helped me by running after him and forcing him to jump on the enclosure of the garden. At least... that was what she seemed to do. But behind my back she is regularly socializing with this handsome male, and yesterday she was even sitting next to the back door, gently looking at him while he was eating her food (indoors). When I tried to drive him off from the house, Missy got in 'chase modus' and started running after him.
I was wondering if cats are able to ''pretend ? In this particular case: could Missy pretend to dislike this male in my presence, while she likes him a lot ?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Goodness only knows. Ask a scientist, and they will say no. Ask a cat-lover, and they will tell you that cats are far more intelligent than most give them credit for, and anything is possible! Either she is, indeed, pretending, or she just likes getting involved in whatever you are doing that looks interesting. I suppose it's going to be awhile before we have a definitive answer to this, but I, personally, hope that they CAN pretend! It certainly would give credence to my personal opinion of their intelligence.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having to get involved in everything ! I was trying to build a 3 storey shelf for the bathroom the other day and Grace had to get involved! Sat watching me sorting out the stupid screws you get in the pack provided with instructions and when I had finished counting them she started being a menace and walked over where Id just sorted them . Tried pinching a couple and when I was holding pArts together she'd bite my hands! When she decided to actually sit on the instructions so I couldn't read anymore we did fall out and I put her in the other room. Hours later when I was still building it she casually walked past me, gave me look and laid on the bed in the distance watching me !!! Yes she had an agenda ...

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know if she is pretending, but cats sure can pretend.
There is a chair my cat, for whatever the reason, likes scratching. He knows he is not allowed to do it.
Last time he had the chance, he got on the chair and was just about to scratch it when I said, in a friendly casual voice "what are you doing, sweetie?". I wasn't even looking at him.
Then, with his front legs stretched as he was just about to scratch the chair, he yawned and got a great stretching before lying down on the chair and looking at me with the most innocent look in his eyes.