Do cats have bad moods?

srbuzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My semi-stray us usually very affectionate with me, has turned into a kneading lap cat (in the process ruining several skirts!
)... purrs loudly, begins to knead on the ground, cement whatever when she sees me... She was never fond of being picked up, although recently she has started to sleep in my arms when I hold her. I do know that if I pet her on the belly, I risk a good scratch, as well as if I try to pick her up when she doesn't want me to. All seems normal. But my question is: does anyone else have a cat that simply gets into occassional bad moods? Every now and then, "Mi chiquita" just seems grumpy! The good news is that she is easy to read, and I can avoid her clawing me. What do you think?

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think she could be pregnant?

Yes my cats get moody, but more with each other. They will be quick to hiss sometimes, lately Autumn has had hissy fits everytime Meeka comes around (usually do better than that). Hope lately acts really bored and can make a game out of anything. Autumn usually acts the most jelous.

timestreason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
*chuckles* Yes, cats have bad moods! One of our males (neutered) has a VERY bad temperment...he can go from being super lovey sweet to an absolute JERK...all in the snap of fingers. He usually takes it out on the other cats (or dogs) if he's in a jerky mood (this is why I call Ben the short legged creep). Usually when he's like this he does NOT want to be held or petted or anything, he just wants to be mean. When he's in a good mood, though, he's very sweet...almost obnoxiously sweet.

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Pru is a stray/feral and she definitely has good days and bad days. Lately, she has had more good days as she gets more comfortable with us. She has spurts of being affectionate and then will not be seen for a day or two, she hides. I have no idea what happens, the environment is the usual and I haven't been able to pin it down to anything other than having a bad day (or two).

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SrBuzz

My semi-stray us usually very affectionate with me, has turned into a kneading lap cat (in the process ruining several skirts!
)... purrs loudly, begins to knead on the ground, cement whatever when she sees me... She was never fond of being picked up, although recently she has started to sleep in my arms when I hold her. I do know that if I pet her on the belly, I risk a good scratch, as well as if I try to pick her up when she doesn't want me to. All seems normal. But my question is: does anyone else have a cat that simply gets into occassional bad moods? Every now and then, "Mi chiquita" just seems grumpy! The good news is that she is easy to read, and I can avoid her clawing me. What do you think?
Skittles was the same way and now I am almost 99% sure she is pregnant. She change over night and did a total additude ajustment.. I LOVE IT

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rocky is like that sometimes. Today I was grooming him, and he was luvin' it- the only cat I have who is into grooming! He was purring and rubbing his cheeks on me. Then all of a sudden the claws came out and he was attacking my hand and the brush. I think it is a matter of being overstimulated.
Zakk is usually quite indifferent, but at night he lets us see his sweet affectionate side.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oh Ollie definitely has his moments! I can definitely tell when it's not a good time to try and apply some new nail caps... I think they're kinda like us - especially with their senses being so keen, I'm sure the weather and things like moon phases can affect them... I can tell Oliver's mood changes during season changes...

lisakmusco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know about my cats having bad moods....I've never noticed it....but my Bird sure does. She most DEFINITELY has moods.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a sweet loving little abby cat that is in a mood with me!! It might be because he has to take different medications, and I am the big meanie who has to administer them. He wont love on me anymore, he runs from me when he sees me

He is my baby, I love to cuddle with him....

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh did I go through kitty purrsonality change today. All it takes is one step in the vets office. Rocky had to go in today for a steriod shot b/c of his asthma flaring up. Now, he is normally a very sweet, very needy cat. He gets in his carrier voluntarily, and is quiet as a mouse in the car. I walked in w/ him in the carrier,and he started growling and hissing right away. People couldn't believe it was coming from a cat! He stalked the floor in the examination room, and when it came time for his shot he tried to jump right out of my bear hug. As soon as we walked out of the office, the sweet quiet little kitty came back!

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sash have bad moods?? Heck no!
Not that I know of anyway, he always seems to be in a good mood.
I'm sure there are many "moody cats" though!

enigma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Cat Cleo is always in a bad mood, She HATES other cats, Her food has to be a certain type and has to be in a certain spot, If I pet her and she doesn't want to be pet I get yelled at. I always get yelled at if she is allowed outside and it is time to go back in I get yelled at if I don't let her kill the lizards hanging around outside....(We have enclosed area out front) I get yelled at again...geesh. The other two girls can be moody at times also. the boys are more laid back and very rarely get moody.

They have names for People that act like only i can't mention it here.

miamispartan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, Miss Tigger gets really moody if we're late coming home from work, so her dinner's late...she really lets us hear about it! Or if we've been away on vacation, and someone else has been watching her, she gets really vocal!

lisakmusco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

I have a sweet loving little abby cat that is in a mood with me!! It might be because he has to take different medications, and I am the big meanie who has to administer them. He wont love on me anymore, he runs from me when he sees me
Well, there is that...Jasmine was a pro at knowing when the meds were coming and hiding .....and Pepper definitely avoided me for awhile after I put the softclaws on her.....but I guess I didn't consider them to be moods. Depends on your interpretation of the word, I guess.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, Luna can be a down right witch sometimes. You give her too much love and she's annoyed. LOL.
Patches is can be a grumpy cat sometimes too.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh definitely. I call Rambo my moody teenager (i sure hope he grows out of it). He's all loving one moment and then doesn't want to be touched, hides in another room and is a general grump. Luckily he usually pops out of it. Lucky on the otherhand does have moods but they don't last long. Since she's been sick lately i hate to wash her back end and forcefeed her meds and about 2 minutes after that she's back for hugs and snuggles.

i wouldn't trade them in for the world though...crabby moods and all!