Do Cats Get Food Comas?

Lenox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mookie moved into my apartment in January. Due to new surroundings for the first time in 8 years, she wasn't eating much initially (1.3 to 3 oz per day). Now that she's been here a while, she eats more. For example, before leaving for work she had 2.6 ounces of Sheba wet food. When I got home she had 3 ounces of another brand. And she ate it all at once. And it was mixed with water.

Her increase in appetite has also been accompanied by eating more at once instead of grazing like she used to. However, sometimes she just falls asleep 10-15 minutes after those big meals right next to her bowl! On the floor (carpet)! She sometimes when leans her head in the bowl. It looks really funny and cute, but I just want to make sure that cat food comas are normal and that her behaviour isn't an issue. I would have expected her to at least make it to get cat bed or a couch.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this all she is eating, or is she eating dry as well?

3 oz is not uncommon for a cat to eat, some of mine do, some dont, and some days yes, some days no. Cats do often nap after eating.. not usually right by the bowl, but... cats.. they nap where they want.

If you have not had her to the vet i would do so. Get her a good check up to make sure there is no health issues going on.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Lenox Lenox Having read this and your other thread I'd like to suggest that you get Mookie to the vet for a blood test when you can. She's a bit older now and cats can develop thyroid problems, diabetes and other health issues as they age.

Best to get her checked out, just in case.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have not had her to the vet i would do so. Get her a good check up to make sure there is no health issues going on.
I agree. Cats can have some pretty weird habits and I'd probably be more worried if the cat fell asleep right away instead of fifteen minutes later, but I'd still go for a vet visit. Given Mookie's age, this is probably a good time for a blood panel, if you haven't already done one.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im glad she is eating more than she was. Its important for her to eat. But yes, i agree a vet visit would be a very wise move. Keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lenox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your responses. She did a blood panel a couple months ago and was at the vet last month. Maybe time to take her again.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At her age any time there are new issues i would recommend a vet visit. We cannot be too cautious with our seniors i dont think.