Do Cats Get Bored From Solid Food ?

Dunya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 9 months kitten doesn't eat any solid food but I tried a soft one as a treat she ate it

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of cat food does your kitty eat? Is it canned wet food or dry kibble? Some cats are very particular about what they eat and some don't care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dunya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For 9 months she is only eating dry food nothing else

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
She would most likely enjoy canned cat food, as a treat or a substitute for some of her kibble. There is nothing wrong with feeding her both. When it comes to canned food however, you need to try a few flavors since cats sometimes prefer one certain flavor to another. She will let you know what she likes.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats don't get bored with food, well, not according to what I read and hear anyway. If your'e worried about her getting fed up,or you want to make tea time more interesting, you can supplement her diet with treats. Just cook a little extra chicken / meats depending on what they like, or buy some treats. For a one off you only need to give her a small amount, you don't need to do anything to it, just don't give her cooked bones or use any seasoning on the flesh. My cats like it best when I serve the chicken cold, cut up so it's really small and I mix a tablespoon of water in.

Some times, I'll use a small cat pate type wet food, get out half and then mash the crumbled chicken and some extra water in so it's like a gelatinous paste with chunks of chicken, they eat that up like they've never seen food.

If you do decide to feed treats, you should reduce the regular food on offer if the cat is over 6 months old. If the cat is under 6 months, the general rule is feed them as much as they will eat in small regular portions.

If you are considering swithching to a full wet food diet, you may wish to slowly offer more wet and less dry gradually so that the kitten /cat does not become ill, they can have a sensitive stomach, but this is determined by the cat (obviously) and you know your cat best.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Cats can certainly have a preference when it comes to their food and some can absolutely get tired of their food.

If you kitten likes canned food, I'd recommend feeding as much of her diet in canned food as possible. You might also experiment with different dry foods.

If her current dry food contains a lot of non-meat ingredients (corn, wheat, soy, vegetables...) try a food with more meat.

If she is currently getting a high meat protein based food, try a different flavor.