Do cats forget each other?

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fin got spooked last sunday (plumber was there) and took an open door opportunity and took off. I searched and called and posted and he was nowhere. Last night, I had all but given up, and then he came home.

For the first hour or so Winn was growling and hissing at him. She's an exceptionally growly kitten anyway, so maybe she was just talking. I don't know. They finally had a long nose to nose and butt sniffing session and she has accepted him again.

The thing is, when he was gone, she got super affectionate and friendly (if you have read my previous posts, this is completely out of character). So maybe she just liked it without him? Or did she forget him?

Fin and my weird cat fearing dog had some sort of strange reunion. Fin ran up to the dog and rubbed on her legs while the dog sniffed his head and wagged her tail. Although she has learned that Fin is ok, he's never shown affection for a cat, it was so cute.

Oh, well, weird animal behavior and all, I'm happy my kitty is home!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woohoo!!! Grats on the good news. Yup my cats act like they don't know who I am at first when I'm gone on vacation or my folks swing by, and they seem to identify each other MUCH more with scent than sight. So your cat may just be gone a day, come back, and your kitty is like, "OMG, WHO ARE YOU! YOU STINK DIFFERENT!!!"

Thats why with mine, if one has to go to the vet, they both do.