Do cats even use this kind of scratching post?

raphael lippi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My girlfriend bought me this scratching post that has a circle. I have seen my 5 month old kitten going through the circle like twice, but she never scratched the scratching post. I have seen her biting it, but she doesn't really care about It. Because of this, my family won't let me buy a bigger one, because they know my kitten won't use It. I wanted to get a cat tree, but they won't let me. The scratching post is 30 cm high only, but I have seen her scratching things under that height, so that is not the problem.The post is sturdy enough. Tried putting a Toy on the top and she would play, touch her claws on the post, but never really scratch It. Praising , giving thread never worked for this.

Have you guys seen a scratching post like this? What is the circle really for? I don't get It, never seen any cat using those.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the circle is for the cat to rub against and defur. I would get some packaged catnip or catnip spray to increase the kittens interest in the post. Now MY cats would be hanging all over that circle, but they are strange. They like those cheap flat corrugated cardboard scratchers the best too, they are always scratching on it. Definitely try the catnip, it really works! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raphael lippi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the circle is for the cat to rub against and defur. I would get some packaged catnip or catnip spray to increase the kittens interest in the post. Now MY cats would be hanging all over that circle, but they are strange. They like those cheap flat corrugated cardboard scratchers the best too, they are always scratching on it. Definitely try the catnip, it really works! 
The though part is finding catnip around here. Guess I have to order online. Does that even work on young kittens though?

mamacat23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with the previous responder that putting catnip on the post may help in getting your kitten to use it--just rub it on the upper part of the upright post and ifkitty doesn't immediately try to reach for it, just gently take his/her front paws and gently move them up and down a little bit (as though they're scratching) to teach them what they should do with the post.  

The thing to know about scratching "posts" for kittens/cats is that every cat is different in terms of the surface they prefer to use to scratch on---some like the texture of sisal (which is what's on the post on your scratcher), some like carpet, some like cardboard (as mentioned by the previous responder)--so it's possible the kitten may not be using it because it doesn't like the texture of sisal.  So, first put some catnip on the post portion and see if that entices the kitten to use it.   One question I have is how tall is the scratching post?   Have you seen your kitten scratching anywhere?   If you've seen the kitten scratching on carpet that will be a good clue as to the type of surface your kitty may like to use.  There are all kinds of scratching devices---the upright kind like the one you have, horizontal scratching devices (some are made of corregated cardboard, some are covered in carpet).   Of our three cats, one likes a carpeted post, one prefers sisal only and the other likes both carpeting and sisal.   We have three kitty condos (climbers with 2-3 levels of carpeted platforms and 4-5 posts--some covered in sisal and some with carpet).  I find that the condo/climbers serve two great purposes for our cats---plenty of places for scratching AND a great place for them to not only get good exercise/play, and also a place that is all theirs...a SAFE place for them.   

You asked if anyone had seen a scratching post like the one your friend gave you and I have to say that no I haven't. The circle seems a bit useless---it appears to be carpeted and not the sort of thing a cat would use to scratch.

You mention that you've seen your kitty scratching elsewhere which tells me kitty is scratching something it shouldn't .  If that 'place' is upholstered furniture---here's the way to deter that behavior which I used when we first brought one of our rescued cats home:  Take tape--low tack (not too sticky) preferable, something like painter's tape or masking tape and put long strips of it on the area of furniture where you've seen scratching taking place.  You want to cover the area leaving only an inch or two of space between rows/strips of tape.  Cats don't like the feel of the tape when they try to scratch so will leave that area alone.  I will tell you that the cat I mentioned took a liking to the entire bottom of this upholstered chair and so I had to tape the entire bottom part portion of the chair until she learned to use our scratching posts/climbers.  I actually used clear packaging tape so that it was less noticeable (it did not hurt the upholstery, but every fabric is different so test first), 

I hope I've helped---please don't hesitate to ask if you need more info, have additional questions, etc. We're all here to help in any way we can.

Last edited:

calico man

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
​I recently acquired a cat and a got her a kitty condo with two scratching posts.  It took her a few days before she started using it, so hopefully your cat has started using it by now. Much better than them scratching up the furniture.  Good luck!

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
My girlfriend bought me this scratching post that has a circle. I have seen my 5 month old kitten going through the circle like twice, but she never scratched the scratching post. I have seen her biting it, but she doesn't really care about It. Because of this, my family won't let me buy a bigger one, because they know my kitten won't use It. I wanted to get a cat tree, but they won't let me. The scratching post is 30 cm high only, but I have seen her scratching things under that height, so that is not the problem.The post is sturdy enough. Tried putting a Toy on the top and she would play, touch her claws on the post, but never really scratch It. Praising , giving thread never worked for this.

Have you guys seen a scratching post like this? What is the circle really for? I don't get It, never seen any cat using those.
Sometimes you have to show them. and a bit of catnip rubbed onto the post can work wonders.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where did you get that scratch post, I want one!

~~~~

If your kitten is just 5 months, I would recommend just picking up a kitty that small and literally placing her ON the post so that she has to grip it and decide whether to move up or down. (I would do this when she was in a sweet or good mood, or also at the beginning of playtime -- not when she is too wild or in a bad mood.)

Do it several times on different days, at different times. I think she will eventually realize that scratching her claws on that post feels good, and that the stretching action she feels while on it, or climbing up and down, is fun. Pretty soon her paws will be marking that post with her scent, and she is more likely to just go to it to scratch it.

Last edited:

raphael lippi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with the previous responder that putting catnip on the post may help in getting your kitten to use it--just rub it on the upper part of the upright post and ifkitty doesn't immediately try to reach for it, just gently take his/her front paws and gently move them up and down a little bit (as though they're scratching) to teach them what they should do with the post.  

The thing to know about scratching "posts" for kittens/cats is that every cat is different in terms of the surface they prefer to use to scratch on---some like the texture of sisal (which is what's on the post on your scratcher), some like carpet, some like cardboard (as mentioned by the previous responder)--so it's possible the kitten may not be using it because it doesn't like the texture of sisal.  So, first put some catnip on the post portion and see if that entices the kitten to use it.   One question I have is how tall is the scratching post?   Have you seen your kitten scratching anywhere?   If you've seen the kitten scratching on carpet that will be a good clue as to the type of surface your kitty may like to use.  There are all kinds of scratching devices---the upright kind like the one you have, horizontal scratching devices (some are made of corregated cardboard, some are covered in carpet).   Of our three cats, one likes a carpeted post, one prefers sisal only and the other likes both carpeting and sisal.   We have three kitty condos (climbers with 2-3 levels of carpeted platforms and 4-5 posts--some covered in sisal and some with carpet).  I find that the condo/climbers serve two great purposes for our cats---plenty of places for scratching AND a great place for them to not only get good exercise/play, and also a place that is all theirs...a SAFE place for them.   

You asked if anyone had seen a scratching post like the one your friend gave you and I have to say that no I haven't. The circle seems a bit useless---it appears to be carpeted and not the sort of thing a cat would use to scratch.

You mention that you've seen your kitty scratching elsewhere which tells me kitty is scratching something it shouldn't .  If that 'place' is upholstered furniture---here's the way to deter that behavior which I used when we first brought one of our rescued cats home:  Take tape--low tack (not too sticky) preferable, something like painter's tape or masking tape and put long strips of it on the area of furniture where you've seen scratching taking place.  You want to cover the area leaving only an inch or two of space between rows/strips of tape.  Cats don't like the feel of the tape when they try to scratch so will leave that area alone.  I will tell you that the cat I mentioned took a liking to the entire bottom of this upholstered chair and so I had to tape the entire bottom part portion of the chair until she learned to use our scratching posts/climbers.  I actually used clear packaging tape so that it was less noticeable (it did not hurt the upholstery, but every fabric is different so test first), 

I hope I've helped---please don't hesitate to ask if you need more info, have additional questions, etc. We're all here to help in any way we can.
If you read my entire post, you will see I mentioned the post is 30 cm tall. Yes, I have seen her scratching under on the chair under the table's Surface, where there is a little not high vertical surface , pretty sure she is not stretching her body higher than 30 cm. The table is made of wood. She scratches wood only, problem is, there ia wood everywhere! She used to scratch the couch, but stoped after lot water squirts (she still gets on It, but doesn't Scratch ).

raphael lippi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Where did you get that scratch post, I want one!

~~~~

If your kitten is just 5 months, I would recommend just picking up a kitty that small and literally placing her ON the post so that she has to grip it and decide whether to move up or down. (I would do this when she was in a sweet or good mood, or also at the beginning of playtime -- not when she is too wild or in a bad mood.)

Do it several times on different days, at different times. I think she will eventually realize that scratching her claws on that post feels good, and that the stretching action she feels while on it, or climbing up and down, is fun. Pretty soon her paws will be marking that post with her scent, and she is more likely to just go to it to scratch it.
That post is pretty popular in my country ( Brazil), you can find that anywhere. I don't know why It is, but the people around here are still a bit ignorant about cats in general. You can probably find It on a eBay like site.

raphael lippi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes you have to show them. and a bit of catnip rubbed onto the post can work wonders.
I did show her, and put her claws on It, hanged a Toy so she would "climb" It and put her claws out. I have seen kittens learning how to climb scratching posts this way on YouTube, mine is probably too small. Only catnip left to try.

mamacat23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So kitty likes scratching on wood furniture--that might be the the answer.    If she were my cat, I would look for either a cedar pole/post or other piece of wood that is about  36 cm high (or whatever height you think will work)  and that can be sanded so that it doesn't splinter. Mount the post/pole on an approx 40-41 cm  square of wood (approx 40-41 cm) and that's about 2.5 cm thick (this piece needs to be large enough to keep the wooden post from tipping over).  You could also use a tree branch--also mounted on a platform or steadied in some way so that it doesn't roll or move.  Some cats will use the tree branch with the bark on, if not--if you can find away to remove the bark that could work.   

Please let us know how things are coming along.  I'm hopeful that the catnip will do the trick.   By the way, I noticed you asked if catnip works on a 5 month old kitten.  I don't age will be an issue, but not all cats like catnip or react to it in any way--the statistic I've heard is that about 30 per cent of cats are not affected by catnip.   Any possibility of getting a small amount of catnip from another cat owner to see if it will affect the kitten?   

Last edited: