Do cat shows have anything similar to the professional handlers in dog showing?

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm curious about whether it's possible to show cats without physically going to the show yourself. I've been very interested in showing and breeding cats for a long time (since I was a kid, really) but I can't go to shows myself, as much as I would like to do so. I have a disability that makes it pretty much impossible to go to a show and stay there all day. Also, the nearest shows to where I live are always several hours drive away, so it would not be possible to make a short trip even just to see what it's like. 

So I'm wondering, IF I had a show quality purebred, is there any way I could get the cat to shows? Does anyone ever have someone else show their cat and then bring it home to them?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I havent heard about professional showers.  Although the idea is surely wise.  Its not enough with a first rate cat, the cat must also be shown by experienced people, if you want to win the very highest titles.

Another option is to ask a steward to carry forward your cat.  If you are really green - or disabled, this may be a wise  idea.

But as I understand it, its not necessary for the owner to do it herself.  A relative or a friend may do it too.  And this is not unusual.

The judge isnt not asking if the person carrying forward is the owner, family member or a friend.

If it is a pro she would of course be recognized.

One quite common solution is the original breeder of your cat is carrying forward this your cat,  being also the breeders product.  

why this isnt done more often?  Probably because it is very fun to carry your own cat forward.  Show off for all to see YOU are the  owner.  Also, the judge is not just judging and writing down the marks.  He is usually also giving lotsa comments and advices.  You being owner of course want to hear them.

Being a lend or hired carrier you arent much interested in these indivudual details.

My epxerience is from the FIFe  shows,  I know not all associations have the exact same rules.

In some association they dont even allow the owner to be in the judging room...

But most are roughly  the same as hinted above.

Last edited:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
In CFA you can designate an agent when you enter your cat in a show. As Stefan said, they don't ask who is carrying the cat to a ring, so even if you don't name an agent you could have a friend take your cat. However, if your agent is also showing his or her own cats, you definitely need to name that person. Otherwise your cat could end up benched on the opposite side of the show hall from the agent's cats.

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You would be in Region 3, the Gulf Shore Region, in CFA. Here is their site. Contact your Regional Director, Carissa Altschul, she would be happy to help you get started, and assign you a "Mentor" to help guide you.

http://www.cfagulfshore.org/

Here is the CFA site, read the "Shows" section and the "Exhibitors" section. 

http://www.cfainc.org/

It is very common, in the cat show world, to send your cat to a show, with another exhibitor, and have them show the cat. They, are named, as "Agent" on the entry form. That means, they, are responsible, for your cat, and anything that can go wrong, so you want to pick a very responsible exhibitor. 

Anybody, can carry a cat to a ring. The kitty is being judged, against breed standards, not the handler, as you correctly referred to, in the dog show world, and in the horse show world. 

Just as in the dog show world, and in the horse show world, there is still a good amount of "politics" that go on, but who carries the cat to the ring, is not one of them. The judges get to know, who the cats are, and who their owners are.  The politics, are aimed, per say, at the owner. 

If you send your cat to a show, its your responsibility, to bathe and groom the kitty, and send the kitty to the show, with all that he/she will need. 

Just be aware, you are entrusting that person, with the safety of your kitty. I myself, would never do it. If I can't get my kittens to a show, then they aren't going, the points are not that important, but, lol, as the others can tell you, I am on the overly pickey side about my kittens, and I am well known for it, on the circuit. 

It is very common, to travel 8-9 hours one way to a show, I do it all the time. Mine sleep the whole way. 

We have some on the circuit, who go on vacation, to other states, even other countries, and send their kitty to a show. We even have some, that will fly the kitty, across the country, to get to a show, depending on the count.  We have some, that routinely, fly all over the country to shows, to get to the show, with the highest count, or a juding lineup, that they feel, is a better fit for their kitty.  We even have some that come in from Canada. 

Showing is alot of fun, if you approach it, like a hobby, you enjoy it. If your running for points, as breeders have to, then it becomes a job, as in, you have to do it.  

Forgot to tell you, you are responsible, to pay your cats entry fee, and unless the person, is already going to the show, and showing their cat, you are responsible, for paying their expenses, travel, hotel, meals, so its best, to hook up, with someone who is already going to a show. 

If its a 2 day show, then a hotel is involved, so you need to decide, how you want to handle, your cat staying in a hotel, with another cat.

I show on the CFA circuit, be glad to help with any questions you have.  

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are 2 ways to go about getting someone to help show your cat for you (and yes, I am CFA too!)

1.  Agent :  As the others have said, you can name a person (preferably one you trust) to help show the cat for you at the show. The person acting as your agent SHOULD be very familiar with your chosen breed to show the cat to the best of their and the cat's ability.  You are responsible for pretty much everything except to show the cat yourself.  You pay the entry fees, transportation charges (if any), hotel costs (if any) etc.  Your agent will be responsible for the cat from the moment it is collected from your home to the time it returns home.

The mentorship program is a GREAT system that works very well indeed and if you ARE indeed in R3, Carissa is a wonderful person and very helpful!

2.  Co-owners :  A person you legally assign as a co-owner can show your cat for you.  Ever wondered why certain top show cats have more than one owner (that is not the breeder's actual partner)?  This is why.  I have been blessed to be the co-owner of a couple of National Winning cats over the past few years simply because it was more "logical" to have me there (those cats had many co-owners from around the world).  For example, it was more cost effective to have me show the cat here, in Malaysia, if there was a big show here (and we do sometimes have them), another co-owner show the cat in Germany for the big shows there, the actual BREEDERS in Hong Kong and have the people actually RUNNING the cat for the campaign for a National Win in the US.

In this respect, costs are shared for pretty much everything.

Many choices to make, but yes, I agree, DO get in touch with the mentorship program and see what would work for you best!

GOOD LUCK!  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the thoughtful replies! It's good to know there are options for me. There's a lot to think about.