Do any of the anti-scratching sprays work?

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My dad caught my new cat scratching his living room chair, and has banished her to my room. Do any of the anti-scratching sprays work from walmart? Also is there anything we can do to train her not to scratch the furniture? We have a scratch pad in each room but she won't hardly use them. She seems to like furniture for sharpening her claws.

Last edited:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Are the scratch pads flat on the floor or hung from something? Sometimes trying one or the other works. Do you have a cat tree? Sometimes those come with sissal on the verticals which they scratch. Also, there are different sized cardboard scratchers to accommodate the length of your cat.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok in the living room, where she scratched the furniture, we have a cat tower. In my room she has a scratchpad hanging on my door knob and also a little stand scratchpad thing. She still enjoys tearing up my bed lol.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried Aristopet and it did squat. These two have plenty of upright and flat scratching places and use them all, but they still (especially Phoebe) like ripping into the front of the chairs. At least I don’t actually like these chairs …

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I find that a sturdy sisal covered scratching post, very big, that a big cat can completely stretch out on, and even climb and sit on top of, is necessary to eliminate inappropriate scratching. Basically you have to give them things to scratch that are much better than your furniture. Then cover what you don’t want scratched with double sided tape.

Try different materials. One of our cats was scratching our doorframes, so we realized she wants to scratch wood. We built a wooden scratching post, double sided taped the doorframes, and she now loves her pole, and is scratching the wood to shreds. Our other cats love flat cardboard scratchers and the aforementioned giant sisal posts. Try to have a lot of scratching surfaces all over the place. We even have sisal covered poles they can climb screwed onto the walls that lead to cat shelves. Read what Jackson Galaxy says about catification of your home. Cats must scratch, it’s part of their nature, so we have to find ways to accommodate them. It can be done, none of our furniture is scratched at all.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Put two way sticky tape down the areas she scratches and put a scratch pad by that area. She might find another spot to scratch but just repeat the process.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As arr said- try different things. My cat rarely uses sisal, but has a love affair with cardboard scratchers that will never end. Cardboard is good for sprinkling catnip also.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Agree - try different surfaces.
Lily would use cardboard. Calcifer also LOVES his cardboard scratches.

Magnus likes anything he can stretch on.

They are fans of sisal..I can rub catnip or put catnip spray on them. Anything carpet too is good. They won't use the fuzzy areas to scratch on and many trees are made of fuzzy blankets or something these days.

They also really liked those cheap fabric cubes you get from Walmart. The kind you fold out and has storage inside.

Putting a bedbug proof cover (Amazon) on the mattress and box spring stopped then scratching there.