Do All Males Spray If Not Neutered?

KLE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 females who are not spayed and would like a male, they are indoor cats and very spoiled. Would a male spray if no other male is around and there is no stress?

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With two intact females? He would almost certainly spray and impregnate your females at the first opportunity.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KLE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With two intact females? He would almost certainly spray and impregnate your females at the first opportunity.
I am looking into starting a cattery, I just don't want the male spray smell.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I am looking into starting a cattery, I just don't want the male spray smell.
Do your cats have a pedigree? Have you done genetic testing necessary for your breed?

KLE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do your cats have a pedigree? Have you done genetic testing necessary for your breed?
Yes, and yes. I just cannot live with the smell of the male spraying, so that is why I am asking about the males.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are very few toms who don't spray. Most breeders keep their males in a separate, easy-to-clean area, though this is also to keep him from having free access to the females, because you can't let them get pregnant on every heat; that's very unhealthy. So unless you can provide a separate living space for your stud, it's not recommended to keep your own. If your females are exemplary specimens of their breed, you can try to find a breeder who will become your mentor, and perhaps let you use their studs. This is rare in the US but more common in other countries, I think.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, and yes. I just cannot live with the smell of the male spraying, so that is why I am asking about the males.
The breeders that I know have separate quarters for their studs (either in their home, or in an entirely separate structure), with minimal carpeted surface so that the surfaces can be easily cleaned and disinfected and the smell of the urine won’t be absorbed as much. Putting a fan by the door of the stud quarters will also help, by improving the ventilation in the area. When you let your stud roam the house (with your females in a separate room, to prevent an unplanned mating), you can put “stud pants” on him to prevent the urine from getting on the furniture.

Just out of curiosity, what breed will you be working with?

KLE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a seal point mitted ragdoll and a flame point himilayan.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So to have purebred kittens, you'd need 2 toms. You'd definitely need separate quarters, as intact toms are usually very territorial and don't get along.

I think you'd be better off spaying your girls and enjoying them as pets.