do all british cat lovers let domestic short hair cats outside?or is it just me?

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have been wondering if we as british cat owners all let are cats outside,because it seems from the many people i have spoken too on this site and others that are not from england, keep thier cats completely indoors for thier lifetimes.....are there any british people on here that don't let thier cat outside...and are there any british cat owners that do???

i have a 11mth old cat who has been use to going outside at his previous owners,but i've only had him just over a month....and he is driving me mad to go outside now!!!even distracting him now isn't working at all..this cat wants out....

should i keep him in longer..or let him out now?

getting a cat flap fitted this week ready for him...but is it too soon?

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey, I let my boys out, but they don't go far at all. Mostly sit on my porch and thats basically it. 

I have a never had a problem letting them out unless it rains and I am also british, just watch out of the roads. I don't live on a direct road. So I don't have to worry about that, just foxes.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there's more acceptance of indoor/outdoor cats in the UK/Europe. I do know there are some UK members here who don't let their cats out, but whether their cats are all pedigrees or not I don't know.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Apparently you didn't pay much attention to some of the posts in your original thread on the subject. TCS member Rosiemac, in the UK, has DSH rescue kitties, and keeps them indoor only. Jennyranson, from the UK living in France, keeps her DSH rescue kitties inside only. I'm pretty sure Oriental Slave keeps her kitties indoors, though I believe they are pedigree/show cats. I know there are others, but they're not coming to mind. There are also a number of members in Australia with DSH kitties that keep them indoor only. I know Mani just built an enclosure for her cats, so they can safely enjoy the outside.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMO it does not matter what nationality you are, it's how you feel about your cat. The decision to keep your kitty inside or let him/her outside is up to you and not on what others say or do. And whatever the result of your decision, the responsibility is yours alone. 

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in Canada and I'd say the majority of people let their cats go outside.  There are plenty of cats roaming around my neighbourhood and most wear collars with contact info.  In fact, a lot of people will ask why I don't let my cats outside.  This isn't the case in larger cities, though.  In fact, I think it's illegal in some cities to let cats roam.  My vet is absolutely thrilled that I don't let the cats out, though.  

Well, I do let Hester out, but all she does is sit in the bush right beside our front door.  I'm not strictly opposed to cats going outdoors; it's actually my husband who insists that we never let the cats out.  I was somewhat on the fence, but we do live near a sort of busy street, and if the cats don't have a taste for the outdoors, we may as well keep it that way.  I think it depends a lot on where you live if the risk is acceptable or not.  Variables need to be considered.  

Actually, I was just thinking earlier that I'd like to see where the stats on outdoor cats come from.  For instance, I've heard a few times that outdoor cats have a life expectancy of about 5 years, whereas it's 15 years for indoor cats.  But I wonder, does that include feral cats?  Outdoor only?  Were the cats in the study all receiving comparable veterinary care?  Were they intact?  There are a lot of factors correlated to cats living outdoors that could decrease life expectancy that aren't inherent with being outside.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
gaogier....how long did you keep your boys indoors for before you let them out?

i got my boy a month ago,he was 10mths old..he's 11 mths now.

but seriously i've had no sleep since i got him..he just wants to go out,he destroying my home...ripping all the wall paper off the walls around the windows ..like he's trying to dig his way out..

he does a really loud deep meowing noise most of the day..and the night too..if he's not running round the house like a lunitic that it....i am really at my witts end and i am so tired now too...he's fed up and i am too...but is 4 weeks long enough to let him out?

he has been neutered 2 weeks ago,and he does answer to his name too...tryed a harness aswell...but i think harness's are something you have to get them use to from a kitten..not try at almost a year old..he hates it!

i only have to pick up a box of his bikkies and he's at my feet....

i just don't know how much longer this can carry on...i love this cat so much ..he's sweet and settled in our family well..but if he gets out will he go back to his previous owner?which is about 2 miles away....he wasn't looked after well there as when i got him home he was so skinny and his tight collar had rubbed alot of fur from his neck..so i wouldn't go back..but i know he might...

people can give me abuse for letting my cat out ..but then they are not in my situation and going through this themselves...i really feel like crying because i want to keep my gorgeous tabby..but if i don't let him out soon..i just don't think i can...i am close to tears every day cos my cats not happy and i am so tired!!

Last edited:

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im from Britain also, I do not let mine two out I have both a long and short hair cats they have never been out, I have a few friends with cats they dont let them out either

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have let them out about 5 months since bringing them home, but they were really young when i brought them home, 4-5 weeks old. 

I am scared of moving due to my cats don't like being kept in, never go anywhere lol

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... I'm pretty sure Oriental Slave keeps her kitties indoors, though I believe they are pedigree/show cats....
I have an enclosed back garden so they come and go there as they want.  I'm very near a main road in this house.

In the previous house they came and went freely, and the pedigree Errol (Havana) used to visit my neighbours.  Unfortunately one day one of them had left her front door open and the hamster out of it's cage... 

He also nearly caught a seagull on the back lawn - heard lots of noise, looked up, saw the seagull in emergency take-off mode.  Went to look properly and Errol was agitated and running round in circles looking up and chattering, the seagull was flying round in circles looking down and giving alarm calls.  It was probably a Herring Gull.

Lots of advice on the FAB's web site about enclosing your back garden:

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/fencing/index.php#

Photos of my own arrangements:

http://shunracats.wordpress.com/kitty-colditz/

Last edited:

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As Laurie mentioned, my three have been indoor cats since they were kittens.

I know where they are, and l know they won't be getting bullied by another cat or human for that matter, or hit by cars

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i think it depends on the cat,some cats will get depressed indoors and depressed cats tend to be de-structive and over groom themselves...some cats are more then happy to live indoors all thier lives.

my cat simba..he had toys,was getting so much attention...treats..good food...yet still he was so keen on getting outside...he was ripping my home apart...crying day in day out...and alot at night time too..and i don't speak cat..but it was very clear what he wanted and needed...

no amount of distraction was working at all...even neutering did not settle him down although it did stop him spraying almost intantly.

so after 5 weeks of keeping him indoors..i decided enough was enough for him and for us...as we hadn't slept through a whole night since we adopted him...and i've had a baby..the baby was easier to settle at night....lol

simba started going out 2 days ago..and although my head said it was too soon to let him out...my heart made the final decision for me and him.

At first he was nervous and walked around the back yard and kept low..but about an hour later his confidence grew...i have 6ft walls around my yard...i knew he would be able to jump the walls using window sils and my daughters toys etc...but i really hoped he wouldn't so soon.

But jump he did..first just watching from the wall...looking around...then he dissapeared...i could still hear his bell on his collar so i knew he hadn't gone too far...but then i stopped hearing it so ran up stairs to see if i could see him from a higher window...and as i clapped eyes on him...he ran off ...then i lost sight of him completely...

another hour or so went by...i shook box's of treats,called to him..but nothing...i was worried now.

but i had to take my daughter for a bath...and i couldn't leave the door open..so i closed the back door and took my daughter upstairs...hoping my cat would eventually come home.

when i came back down stairs...sitting on the wall right oppisite my back door...there was simba...i opened the door and he ran back inside,ate some food...had a play with the family..and slept like a baby....thank goodness...cos we all needed some sleep after 5 weeks of hardly any..

next day he went out,but stayed in my yard,chased some bugs...rolled around..chilled on the wall by the back door...came back in and hasn't been out since...i keep him in at night at the moment.

i had a cat flap fitted...but simba still hasn't got the jist of it just yet...but i am sure he will..

he is a much happier,loving and content cat now...he doesn't cry all day and night,he loves his strokes and cuddles more...my house is suffering no further damage....

not all cats can be indoor cats....and my cat clearly couldn't...i made the right choice for him.

but i do get some cat owners can not let there cats out for many many reasons...traffic,wild animals...killer bugs etc..but i am lucky i am in an area where traffic is very slow on a residental road..and the back yard is built against many other back yards..creating a maze of fun for cats...

we do not have any stray cats where i live...not that i have seen...the cats i see have collars and i.d tags...not seen any so far without.

if simba does get hurt ....or worse..of course i will be devastated...but i will never regret letting my cat outside..because thats what made him happy and he got to live like a cat should in my mind...hunting,stalking,climbing,chasing,rolling in the grass....and enjoying everything he should....

my cat was never going to be able to be an indoor forever cat...not a chance!!!!

Last edited: