DNA cat food

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a 16 week kitten and have posted a few times on how I am feeding a variety of food. I had been feeding blue buffalo wilderness kitten dried food as a snack to leave out between raw/wet food feedings. I was concerned about giving her BB after the thread on BB and renal failure. I switched to leaving out ziwipeak dried raw, but last time I was at the pet store they did not have any so I picked up some DNA chicken and liver dried raw (http://www.dnapetfood.com/node/9151). I am not crazy about all the ingredients because it has pea and cranberries in it, but it seemed pretty good so I bought some. Well she loves it a lot more than the ziwipeak and my other cat tried it as well (he usually throws up any raw even freeze dried so I will have to see if he will have a reaction). I haven't seen it mentioned on here, so i was wondering if anyone has tried it?

On the package it recommends you rehydrate it and I was wondering how long I could leave it out rehydrated?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once rehydrated, I would treat it as a wet/canned food:  not long (maybe 30 minutes), depending on how hot it gets in your house.  I would think the food would develop a 'crust' on it, too, after a certain amount of time passed.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Very interesting food.  It's also interesting that this one says to add HOT water when rehydrating, although it also says you can add cold, but it will take longer to rehydrate.  All the raw foods of this type say to add warm water

Anyway, I'd just call the company and ask them! 

I'm going to have this thread moved over to the Raw Forum, because I'd like to get opinions of this food, since it's a new one (to me), and it's raw. I think everyone over on that forum would like to know about it!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Interesting. I've never heard of this food either. I'm not crazy about the 7% fruits and vegetables, but it looks good otherwise. No bone, so it may be an option for those who can't tolerate/shouldn't have bone for various reasons.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the information everyone! I am not 100% happy with it because of the veggies and cranberries but it is so hard to find freeze dried raw in Canada. I think zwipeak is probably better but she really loves DNA and I do like that I can rehydrate it for when I can't give her raw- like if I take her on vacation. I wish I could find Stella and Chewy's here!

The real plus about DNA is it is the only raw food that my other cat has not thrown up, so I may start rehydrating it for him to supplement his wet food (he is eating some orijen now and I would like to stop all dry food and he won't eat more than 3-5 oz of weruva or tiki cat a day).

Last edited: