DLH and matted fur

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl Beans (pictured) has a very long double coat in the winter time. She's 1 1/2 yrs old and although it got long last winter, it wasn't as thick.

Her winter coat is especially prone to tangles and matting. I brush her daily and this usually keeps her matt free. However I noticed a big matt between her legs in "no man's land". She'll let me brush her belly but not between her hind legs. Who can blame her really? I was able to work on it a little bit but I eventually ended up getting bloodied.

Do any of you have your cats given a "sanitary shave" by a groomer? I've heard it's not too expensive. I'm open to all suggestions.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, I got a "hiney shave" for a long hair cat I have. Hannah had a bout with diarrhea and even though she is good at cleaning herself, the poop would get in her long hair.  Yuck.

Hannah was getting a full groom--bath, nails clipped, etc. so the mobile groomer offered to do the shave, too, at no extra charge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to have to see if I can find a groomer that specializes in cats. All of the pet stores that offer grooming near my house are canine only. I've looked at groomers around Nashville on Google and all their websites have pics of dogs. I was told by a groomer at PetSmart that cat grooming requires some extra schooling of some sort. IDK 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

I'm going to have to see if I can find a groomer that specializes in cats. All of the pet stores that offer grooming near my house are canine only. I've looked at groomers around Nashville on Google and all their websites have pics of dogs. I was told by a groomer at PetSmart that cat grooming requires some extra schooling of some sort. IDK 
Hmmm.  I don't know about more schooling.  The woman we found has a mobile service and she only takes care of cats, no other animals.  With seven cats here, it's a lot easier having someone come to the house!  Honestly, I hadn't even thought of the shave--she suggested it and it was a good idea.