DL-Methionine (urine acidifyer)??

summermh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As I continue to research the possibility of switching my FLUTD kitty over from Prescription Diet C/D to a non-prescription (safe) wet diet, I can't help but worry about the risk I'm taking with crystals rearing their ugly head. Then it dawned on me... can't DL-Methionine, the urine acidifyer that's in the wet C/D (oddly enough, it's not in the dry), simply be prescribed to the kitty that needs it? Then he can eat a healthy diet with no worries (as long as it's a wet food with safe magnesium & phosphorous levels)?? Have I oversimplified this??

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
methionine is a amino acid ... IE generally safe and in some cases highly effective .... This is a VET ?? as ONLY the Vet is qualified to give an idea if this will work with your cat

NO DRY is safe outside of RX or the uti OTC after asking the vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

summermh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, would (of course) ask our vet, just want to ask the kitty experts first so I don't look like fool with him
. Seems to be three pieces to the "crystal-free" puzzle: 1.) low magnesium/phosphorous 2) filtered water readily available 3) urine acidifyer

Is that right? Thought if I could take care of #1 in a wet food and #3 with prescription... do we really need the C/D? I'll be having a discussion with our vet to cover my questions before ANY changes are made, but I feel the conversation will go better if I truly understand my researched options, versus only the options he may suggest.

If I was to switch to a non-prescription WET food, I think I've learned the following:

Keep magnesium under 0.08% (dry matter)
Keep phosphorous under 0.085% (dry matter)
No fish protein
Anything else regarding ingredients versus just the GA?

I noticed some of the SENIOR cat foods have low magnesium but want to be certain I don't miss anything else necessary in keeping the crystals at bay. I've also noticed that some non-prescription foods (NutroMax) contain this DL-Methionine acidifyer.

If my vet is the least bit concerned after reviewing specific food alternatives and their ingredients & GA's, we will stay on the C/D (but I won't be happy about it
).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes you are correct on the senior foods... often they are uti friendly and have methonine .. plus you will see lower calcium and phos .. down side proteina and fat are lower ( if higher check if coming from meat or grain)

corn or corn gluten help with uti health and are another source of methonine