Diy Soundproof Crate?

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fireworks suck. My dog hates them and spends the entire night tucked away in the quietest closet he can find. Making him a soundproof area would be nice instead of having him kick half my shoes out and pull shirts off hangers. Since I'll be moving a couple times in the next few years, portable is ideal. Does anyone have any idea how to soundproof a crate? The couple examples I found online are far too expensive. My dad is handy with electrical stuff, so he could set up fans for ventilation. I could make (or beg a relative with a sewing machine to make) a thick crate cover (maybe out of sound reducing curtains?) with a layer of soundproofing material (foam? car mat?) in the middle and a clear panel on the front to keep an eye on him. Any ideas?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think your ideas sound really good.
There are soundproofing materials available at home improvement stores, you could check into that as well. :thumbsup: :cloud9:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our dog hated fireworks and thunderstorms with a passion. :storm: He would run up to my daughter's bedroom and wedge himself between her bunk bed and closet. It's where he felt the most secure and comfortable so we let him be and always stayed home on a holiday with fireworks or, if possible, a bad thunderstorm. We tried everything except sedative meds because he was already on a lot of medicine for an autoimmune illness. Besides he could predict a storm before it happened, something in the barometric pressure - he was my weatherman. :wink:

You peeked my curiosity and I found this complete guide to soundproofing a dog crate that might be helpful for you. Some of the ideas pertain to loud barking but the others discuss sound absorbing materials to use. Best of luck! Please let us know what materials you decide to use.
How To Soundproof Dog Crates and Kennels - Complete Guide -

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our current method of handling fireworks is a thundershirt, rescue remedy, and classical music. White noise doesn't seem to calm him and fans aren't loud enough. Fireworks are just too darn scary!

Our dog hated fireworks and thunderstorms with a passion. :storm: He would run up to my daughter's bedroom and wedge himself between her bunk bed and closet. It's where he felt the most secure and comfortable so we let him be and always stayed home on a holiday with fireworks or, if possible, a bad thunderstorm. We tried everything except sedative meds because he was already on a lot of medicine for an autoimmune illness. Besides he could predict a storm before it happened, something in the barometric pressure - he was my weatherman. :wink:

You peeked my curiosity and I found this complete guide to soundproofing a dog crate that might be helpful for you. Some of the ideas pertain to loud barking but the others discuss sound absorbing materials to use. Best of luck! Please let us know what materials you decide to use.
How To Soundproof Dog Crates and Kennels - Complete Guide -
Thank you for that link! I'll probably start looking for supplies on Prime Day. The stores here suck (yay small towns)so I have to get everything online.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would worry about any kind of sound proof crate just because getting decent ventilation would be a challenge. Nervous dogs need extra air not less since they tend to pant when they stress.

I work at a dog kennel. What we do with fireworks and thunderstorms is drown them out instead. Get him a normal crate and crate him when thunder or fireworks start. In that same room, play music loudly (unbearably loudly), turn on fans, anything to make it so the sudden booms and crashes are masked. Put the crate far away from windows and as close to the center of your living space as possible to further distance him from the noise.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would worry about any kind of sound proof crate just because getting decent ventilation would be a challenge. Nervous dogs need extra air not less since they tend to pant when they stress.

I work at a dog kennel. What we do with fireworks and thunderstorms is drown them out instead. Get him a normal crate and crate him when thunder or fireworks start. In that same room, play music loudly (unbearably loudly), turn on fans, anything to make it so the sudden booms and crashes are masked. Put the crate far away from windows and as close to the center of your living space as possible to further distance him from the noise
Unfortunately, my cat is more petrified by loud music of any kind than fireworks. It may help the dog a bit, but my old cat may have a heart attack.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise