DIY Cat Trees / Cat Tree Plans

msbedelia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, all!

This summer, I'm looking to build my own cat tree for my two furbabies. I'm willing to purchase the plans. I was wondering if people had any interesting suggestions or links?

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I made my own several years ago... It was not nearly as nifty as many I've seen since.

Picture 2 good sized boxes (build of plywood) set next to each other, offset just a bit, a front opening on one, and a top opening on the other, with an arch cut into the overlap between them.  Left the bottoms open.  Covered that with "office carpet". 

Then stuck a 4x4 post on one end, left it raw wood, even roughed up the sides a bit with a band saw. 

Then stuck a padded platform on top of that, and covered it with "car carpet" (the thick, plush kind).  The trick was to set the platform in such a manner as to balance with the weight of the bottom.

The thing lasted longer than I ever would have expected.  I built it after watching what kinds of things my cat at the time liked to claw on.  She loved the office carpet and the cedar siding (which drove my dad nuts).  Hence, the office carpeting and raw wood post.  Several of our subsequent cats loved it as well.  Unfortunately, over the years, the post got clawed up so much that it became difficult to handle when we wanted to move it, and the carpet began unraveling, and... *sigh* it had served us well.

I keep telling myself I should build another one.