DIY cat constipation remedies

deathgirlcliche

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I've had this cat a little over a year. I've found him in the woods when he was a baby.
Ive noticed a lot of unproductive trips to the litter box, gingerly laying down, a pick up in howling, and when he goes to the litter box, he's scratching around in there, going thru the motions but nothing is happening.
I also noticed he's licking back there a little more frequently than usual.
I. Wondering if there's any at home remedies for this, as I am exceptionally low income. I was homeless for three years, I only recently obtained housing. But I have had this cat and one other senior cat since then, and I would never leave them. They are seriously my world. I just wanna help my little guy.
Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, are you sure it's constipation and not urinary? Secondly, if he's that uncomfortable, he really needs to see a vet. It may be passed the point of DIY. He could be impacted and need an enema or it could be something different.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can try giving him a little bit of olive oil or even butter (unsalted if you can) to try to lubricate his intestines. This can help if it isn't too bad. But as mentioned above, it could be so bad he needs a Vet. Is he still eating? If so, that's a good sign. And definitely make sure he is urinating, because if not, that can become deadly very quickly.

Take a look at this article to see if there is anything in it that might help just in case you do need to see a Vet: No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles

Nilo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Warning: I'm in no way an expert. I could be wrong, or what I'm saying could be obvious. But if it's not, hope it's helpful. If I'm wrong, please feel free to educate me.

Giving a tiny amount of milk / curd / yogurt can help break constipation. Note: Tiny amount only. Something like a spoonful perhaps.

I've seen that some cats with worms have constipation issues. Deworming meds have solved constipation issues of a cat I knew that had no other symptoms of having worms.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not wrong, the yogurt has/is a probiotic, and that can be helpful in getting the gut environment back to normal:)

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After a vet visit to rule out medical isuues, I find canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling that is already flavored, works for my cats.