Diy cat anti scratch spray

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I want to make a spray to prevents my cat from scratching my box spring in the middle of the night. What is safe and top smells they hate? Ratio?
I thought about getting a ssscat air can but it's too expensive

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to make a spray to prevents my cat from scratching my box spring in the middle of the night. What is safe and top smells they hate? Ratio?
I thought about getting a ssscat air can but it's too expensive
Cats are said to loathe citrus smells, so you might try spraying the box spring with SAFE FOR CATS, natural (not one of those room sprays or essential oils which can be toxic) spray. You could dilute a natural citrus essence/oil with water and put into a spray bottle. There are ready-made bitter sprays for this purpose, available at most "pet" supply venues. Here are a few:
Make sure they are safe for CATS.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I used Feliway Classic calming spray to keep Mocha from scratching the furniture. Just a caution, though: While it worked well with Mocha, some cats don’t seem to notice it at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats are said to loathe citrus smells, so you might try spraying the box spring with SAFE FOR CATS, natural (not one of those room sprays or essential oils which can be toxic) spray. You could dilute a natural citrus essence/oil with water and put into a spray bottle. There are ready-made bitter sprays for this purpose, available at most "pet" supply venues. Here are a few:
[/URL]
Make sure they are safe for CATS.
Will a bitter spray work though? Since I'm using for scratching and not biting

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will a bitter spray work though? Since I'm using for scratching and not biting
They aren't expensive and it wouldn't hurt to try a citrus-scented one, since cats don't like citrus smell. You could even try pinning cloth that you've rubbed with citrus peels to the area to deter scratching.
Another thing to do, if you're able, is to provide a variety of scratching surfaces throughout your cat's environment, both vertical and horizontal. Rub, spray or apply catnip spray/leaves and/or catnip/silvervine blend leaves to these frequently, as they are attractive to cats. Encourage your cat to use these and you might give your cat a treat every time your cat uses them instead of the box spring. Cats are very intelligent and most will soon use the cat-specific scratching surfaces given these encouragements. You can also praise your cat and give pets/strokes after a successful use of the scratcher(s).