distemper vaccine?

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This week I'm taking my two 4 year old kitties in for their required rabies vaccinations. The vet will also do a wellness exam. They are exclusively indoor cats and very healthy. I'm updating the rabies due to county law and also the off chance they catch a mouse or critter that got in the house. Otherwise I don't have any reason to take them in right now. It's super stressful for them. The vet mentioned the distemper shot is due too. They had it when I first got them at over 6 months old. I'm not sure there's a good reason to get it again, as they are indoor cats. Is it really necessary as indoor cats? Thank you!

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they've never had a distemper or combo shot since 6 months, they could maybe use 1 more to be safe, but that would be all they need. The vaccine does a very good job at providing long term immunity in adult cats.

Or, you could request titers be tested. That's a little more complicated, but it's zero risk to the cats and is a good measurement of immunity for distemper. That way your vet is satisfied that they're protected.

There is a small chance they could have lost their immunity since being vaccinated since they were young enough to potentially still be relying on their mother's antibodies, in which case the vaccine might not have taken very well, which is why the booster as an adult is recommended. It's such a contagious and dangerous disease that I think it's worth getting that extra booster or confirming immunity with a titer test.

An annual exam, while stressful, is very important for adult cats regardless of vaccinations. Mainly, dental disease is the big concern that you won't be able to notice on your own. And dental inflammation can lead to lots of other health problems if it goes untreated for too long.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I'd politely decline.

Whatever you decide to do - whatever they get - do make sure that the vaccine is a non-adjuvanted product, meaning either a "modified live" or a recombinant vaccine type..............never, ever accept a "killed" vaccine. Dr. Pierson explains those types here: Vaccine Types.
There is only one non-adjuvanted Rabies vaccine, the trade name is PureVax.

There's a slow growing movement to have vaccines administered in the tail of the cat - that way, should the unthinkable occur, a growth can be most successfully managed with least effect on the cat. And, never allow vaccination in the scruff/core body areas - they should always target the limbs, specifically as far from the body as possible.

Hope that helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info/advice! I hadn't considered the dental aspect....that's a good reason to get them checked for sure.