Distemper Questions

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, this is the second time now I’ve dealt with distemper in the house. First time was over 2 years ago, and I didn’t bring any new cats or kittens into my house for at least a year and a half. I brought two babies into my home a month ago that had distemper. One passed, the other thankfully is doing great and working on putting weight back on. Weighing in at 1 pound at 8 weeks.
Obviously, I can’t foster for a while. I understand the germs can stay on surfaces for a year or so, maybe more.
So I honestly plan on not fostering again until we get a house, which easily isn’t going to be for a few years.
I’m going to toss some things that I can’t clean before moving whenever that happens, like cat trees and toys, and buy new. I have cages and carriers I can clean with bleach before the move, same with litterboxes and I was told I can wash the old towels I use for fosters in hot water and bleach but I honestly might just toss them all.

If the fosters have Their own separate room in this new house, without the ability to roam the rest of the house (unless the little brats escape when I open the door which unfortunately happens sometimes) and no contact with my own cats, is it safe to keep certain things like furniture, aka my couch, bed, etc. If I don’t plan on moving for a few years, wouldn’t the germs by that point die or whatever?

I honestly wonder if it wasn’t these two that brought distemper into the house but actually a mom and kittens I fostered for a rescue, because I lost 3 kittens to scarily similar symptoms to distemper.

I just want to stay safe, but I can’t get rid of all my household stuff when I do eventually move, it’s expensive to replace things like furniture. Cat toys and trees aren’t as bad, but a $2,000 couch, despite how covered in cat hair it is, is a bit much haha!

I’ll attach a photo of my little baby who beat distemper 💕
5BC64511-7B81-4E56-BB5A-6EB321AECD17.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm reading conflicting information that the virus doesn't last that long? Is there anything beside the bleach that will disinfect multiple types of surfaces?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I'm reading conflicting information that the virus doesn't last that long? Is there anything beside the bleach that will disinfect multiple types of surfaces?
Honestly I feel like everyone says different amounts of time. Some say 6 months, others say a year, others say 2 years. Maybe it depends on how often surfaces are cleaned.
I’ve been told a cleaner called Rescue can kill it faster, but I have never heard of it nor do I know if it’s multi surface. And it’s be hard to spray everything down with that in my house. I figure I’d just wait until I move, see what I bring with me furniture wise and spray it all down then when the time comes.If I can find something.