Dispensers Vs. Food Bowls?

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 4 cats and use dispensers since I live alone, in case of emergency, etc. They are not timed, just the manual kind. Sometimes food gets "stuck" and I need to shake them. :fish:

Should I get large bowls instead and place them in different areas?

I thought I had to go to ER the other night and it scared me because I worry for my cats. :fear:

I currently keep 20 lbs of food out (2 dispensers).

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do any other multiple cat owners have several bowls out or do most of you use dispensers?

Recs for good brand that I don't have to "shake"?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had two cats I used a dispenser type feeder. Any yes, sometimes the food can get a little stuck but my girls would stick their paw in the opening and unstick it themselves. The only negative of the dispenser type is that it is difficult to judge exactly how much your cat or cats are eating which is okay if your cat has a thinner build but not so good with overweight cats.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had a small dispenser for a while, it was convenient, straightforward and worked.
I think you're fine with dispensers, try once or twice not shaking stuck kibble loose and see if your kitties can get it to flow on their own.
I hope that you don't ever have to test the theory by actually going to the ER :redheartpump:
By the way, how are you set up for water for them?

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Do any other multiple cat owners have several bowls out or do most of you use dispensers?

Recs for good brand that I don't have to "shake"?
Most people do not have food dispensers. I never saw one in a pet store.

Do the cats have different dietary needs or is one cat eating everyone else's food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I don't have any trouble with their water dispensers and I keep out a total of 5 gallons.

Daisy6, one of them is on prescription food , but vet said it's ok if they all eat it. Plus, the others get Fancy Feast wet a few times per day. It gets really expensive with all of them eating the Rx food, but I am not comfortable not leaving them with food since i live alone. :nervous:

Susan, it sounds like you have very smart girls!! :)

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean about the dollar signs. You can find ways to save money in the Nutrition section (and learn more about feeding regular foods for cats who get prescriptions).

Look for a wet food dispenser that keeps servings cold and read the reviews.