Dishes

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed the cats on the cat tree so that the dogs can't get to their food as easily. Lloyd just knocked one of the dishes down for the 100th time and of course, it hit the other one and both broke. They were ceramic dishes from a serving platter that I had, but they were the perfect shape, width and depth for them. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for ceramic dishes that may be sturdier? I don't really like stainless and I don't want to go to plastic. These did hold up for a quite a long time, but I can't get them any more. 

smitten4kitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use ceramic plates from petsmart. They are wide and shallow and they have the word spoiled on the dish. They are thick and sturdy. Or put a throw rug under the cat tree to soften it if the dishes fall.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll have to check them out when I'm there next. I'm going to look at work on Wednesday, but I can't remember seeing anything that I really liked (I work at a smaller pet store). I'll also check our company website and see if there's anything there that I like that we don't have so I can order it in. 

They broke when one fell from one level down to the next right on top of the other one. I spent a good half our picking up little pieces from the tree and vacuumed it good to make sure. I just wasn't sure if there was something sturdier than regular ceramic ones, although I guess since I prefer ceramic I'll have to deal with the occasional breakage 

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about approaching it from another angle and attaching sturdy velcro to the bottom of the dishes so they can't be knocked down from the cat tree? :nod:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stainless can't break and can go in the dishwasher.  They don't look as nice and are lighter and maybe easier to knock off, but it's quicker to clean up any spilt food than all those sharp splinters.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever bought or tried the ceramic ones from pampered chef? They aren't specifically to be cat dishes or anything but I bought a serving platter with 3 bowls and the little plates that go under the bowls from there never found a purpose to use them besides feeding my cats. They've been dropped and moved and anything your not suppose to do with them because they're ceramic and could break has been done to them. They hold up like you wouldn't believe! I got them ten years ago and they still haven't broke. They're pricey but stylish, you can get ones that you like and match your decor but they're still dishwasher safe and can handle lifes bumps and bruises. It's the only glasswear I've found that doesn't get broken at the drop of a hat that doesn't look tacky...

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Several years ago, we found a set of 12 glass dessert plates at Reading China and Glass, an outlet kitchen-type store. They were on sale for, geez, I'm thinking maybe $5.00. We bought two sets, thinking that they would make great cat food plates. And they have. They've held up over the years; I've not broken one. They go into the dishwasher with no trouble. The rest of their dishes are simply the old saucers and dessert plates from an old set of dishes that I've had for years. The seven cats have about 30 cat food plates total. Between their meals and their snacks during the day, I use them. If it weren't for cat food plates, I wouldn't have to do a load of dishes every day in the dishwasher.

Their water dishes are simply two old white Corning casseroles that I don't use for anything else. Since they get their water changed twice a day, I use both of them daily, too, and at any one time, one water bowl is in the dishwasher. The casseroles are heavy enough that Tabby can't really move them when she's playing with her meeces. And they're large enough that often two cats can (and do) drink at the same time. You can find old Corning casseroles at yard sales and such for a good price.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love, love, love Petware Pottery- they are the only dishes I use. I use two of the medium bowls (for water and dry food) and the saucers for wet. They are a super thick ceramic so don't break nearly as easily. Dishwasher and Microwave safe. The best part? You can customize them with any color/pattern you want for the same price. The saucers are $24US and the medium bowls $28US so I bit pricy but they last and last. 

You can see pictures on the main website: http://www.petwarepottery.com/index.htm but can't order from there. If interested PM me and I will get you in touch with the person you place an order with. They do ship to other countries (with a shipping fee). I can take pictures of mine and send them to you if that helps! 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no how awful to break your favorite cat dishes!

I use small corelle saucers. I get them at walmart and I keep stocked up with extras in the cupboard in case of breakage.

I dislike stainless steel.

Whatever you decide to use, make sure it is Made In USA. USA had laws about lead levels in glass, china and ceramic that other countries do not.

Many made for pet dishes are Made In China. I would not feed my cats on ANYthing "made in china".

PS there is a discussion on dishes in this thread you might find helpful, and it shows a picture of the saucers I use:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/248078/food-scale-recommendations-please

Last edited: