disguising dasuquin smell in cat food help

CallieKatherine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
i’m looking for help on how to get my cat to eat his dasuquin medication. i have a 17 year old cat and for the past year i’ve been trying to get him to take dasuquin for arthritis but he is always able to tell that it’s been mixed into his food. They come in sprinkle capsules and i’ve tried almost everything i can think of to disguise the smell but nothing has worked. i’ve tried mixing it with tuna,sardines, normal wet cat food, adding a ton of water into the wet food, coating the wet food with gravy, i’ve even tried only putting a tiny amount at a time but he is still able to tell. If anyone has a cat like this and has found something that worked for them i would greatly appreciate some advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CallieKatherine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you give it to him like a pill? I have the same problem. Luckily she doesn't fight me when I give a pill
unfortunately it’s too big to give him like a pill. I think sprinkling it on his food is my best bet if i’m able to find a way to do it without him noticing. Thank you for the suggestion though!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Give Cosequin a try if he continues to refuse the Dasuquin. Although, Feeby ended up rejecting both Dasuquin and Cosequin - she could detect them when the capsule was opened and sprinkled into food.

You could try another joint supplement that is liquid to see if that might work better. There was one I liked - and I may go back to it again. It is called Noden's Cat Hip & Joint (beef flavored). Feeby seemed to be OK with it being added to her food. There are also a couple of other liquid joint supplements as well - both beef flavored too - all are pretty much the same in terms of content. Liquid Health Pets Joint Purr-Fection and Paramount Pet Health Glucosamine.

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We hide medication in squeeze tube treats, like Hartz Delectables Squeeze Ups and Inaba Churu tubes. The Hartz tubes are a thicker consistency than the Inaba Churu and we find they're better at hiding strong flavors.

https://www.chewy.com/hartz-delectables-squeeze-up-variety/dp/187835
https://www.chewy.com/inaba-churu-grain-free-chicken-puree/dp/169571

Have you considered the Dasuquin chewables? The soft treats and chewable tablets listed for dogs but the ingredients are safe for cats. The chewable tablets have brewers dried yeast, which is very palatable for some cats. We've used similar tablets that we crushed and mixed into wet food.

Dasuquin® Advanced Chewable Tablets
EZY DOSE pill crusher

CallieKatherine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Give Cosequin a try if he continues to refuse the Dasuquin. Although, Feeby ended up rejecting both Dasuquin and Cosequin - she could detect them when the capsule was opened and sprinkled into food.

You could try another joint supplement that is liquid to see if that might work better. There was one I liked - and I may go back to it again. It is called Noden's Cat Hip & Joint (beef flavored). Feeby seemed to be OK with it being added to her food. There are also a couple of other liquid joint supplements as well - both beef flavored too - all are pretty much the same in terms of content. Liquid Health Pets Joint Purr-Fection and Paramount Pet Health Glucosamine.
I did buy some consequin treats that he also refused but those and dasuquin are the only two i’ve tried so i’ll look into the other ones you listed. Thank you for the suggestions i really appreciate them!

CallieKatherine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We hide medication in squeeze tube treats, like Hartz Delectables Squeeze Ups and Inaba Churu tubes. The Hartz tubes are a thicker consistency than the Inaba Churu and we find they're better at hiding strong flavors.

HARTZ Delectables Squeeze Up Variety Pack Lickable Cat Treats, 0.5-oz tube, 10 count - Chewy.com
INABA Churu Grain-Free Chicken Puree Lickable Cat Treat, 0.5-oz tube, pack of 24 - Chewy.com

Have you considered the Dasuquin chewables? The soft treats and chewable tablets listed for dogs but the ingredients are safe for cats. The chewable tablets have brewers dried yeast, which is very palatable for some cats. We've used similar tablets that we crushed and mixed into wet food.

Dasuquin® Advanced Chewable Tablets
EZY DOSE pill crusher
the tube treats are a good idea i’ll look into those! I’ve tried to give him consequin treats but not dasuquin ones so i’ll also look into those. Thank you for the suggestion's

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did buy some consequin treats that he also refused but those and dasuquin are the only two i’ve tried so i’ll look into the other ones you listed. Thank you for the suggestions i really appreciate them!
Did you ever have any luck with this? I had the same trouble with my kitty. I ended up buying the soft treats and breaking them into quarters or thirds and then doing the same with these Tiki soft treats that our cat loves. I take 2 or 3 of the Tiki treats and break them in half or thirds and then I put them in a little pile and she eats them all up. Occasionally, I'll find a left over piece, but for the most part she eats them.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Sylvie actually likes her food better when it has Cosequin sprinkles mixed in! I tried Dasuquin, on the vet's advice, and Sylvie ate the food but quickly barfed it up. So I went back to Cosequin.

Thanks for mentioning the liquid supplements; I wasn't aware of those.