Diseases And Viruses In Stray Kittens

LaurenElizabeth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I moved to Istanbul, Turkey where there are a lot of stray cats. Yesterday I came across a woman dumping some kittens in a quieter part of an otherwise very busy neighborhood. She said they had no mother. They are just under two months and there is a lot of food and water left out, but also a lot of cars. One ran over very scared and I just couldn't leave them to fend for themselves at such a young age, so I took them home with me to find a foster or adoption solution. However, my roommate told me her young cat has yet to be vaccinated and the kittens won't be vaccinated for a few days.

I have kept the kittens alone in my room and I have tried to keep it as clean and sanitary as possible but I was wondering just how worried I should be about the other cat picking up something. Could a virus stick to my clothes or to the soles of my feet? I'm trying to find a new foster home but until then I want to keep every cat as healthy as possible...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Perhaps Count Count who also lives in Turkey can identify for you the most common viruses/diseases for cats in your country? I don't know if they are the same as here in the US or not.

Most common vaccinations done here in the US are:

FVRCP - which addresses three viruses/infections. Feline herpes, calcivirus, and distemper (panleukopenia).
- Herpes (FVR) is shed and cats can catch it through saliva, mucus, feces, and through contact with food bowls, litter boxes, or bedding. The herpes virus can also be transmitted from a mama to it's unborn kittens.
- Calcivirus (FCV) can be transmitted by direct contact with nasal and eye discharge of infected cats, as well as through use of food or water bowls that have been contaminated with the virus.
- Distemper (P) can be transmitted through bodily fluids, feces or fleas.

Feline Leukemia (FeLV) which cats can pass to each other via blood, saliva or, in some cases, feces/urine.

Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV) which is mostly transmitted through bites from infected animals, but also has been rarely passed down from a mama to her kittens.

Rabies - transmitted through saliva (typically, but not always bites) from an infected animal.

Hope this helps a little.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As long as you keep them separate the main thing to be concerned about would be feline distemper which is actually a type of parvo virus. I don't know what the incubation period is but once a kitten shows symptoms they will be very sick and you will know that they are very sick. Young kittens rarely survive it. That is the virus which you can carry on your shoes or clothing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LaurenElizabeth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys for the quick responses... Sounds like keeping them separate, washing my hands often and not cuddling them too much at this stage should do the trick.

LaurenElizabeth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also to add on, I believe the vet said many stray cats here have coronavirus unless i misheard her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A lot of cats everywhere have corona virus. So, not only should your kittens be tested for it, but so should your roommates young cat when s/he is tested for FIV & FeLV testing (which should happen before vaccinations). Just so you know whether or not they have it.

Corona virus can remain dormant in a cat for their entire life time and never mutate to FIP - I think it is less than 5% that ever mutate. But, it is more common to mutate in kittens and very young cats, as well as much older cats - when the immune system isn't as strong. I wouldn't worry so much about it even they would test positive, just keep them as healthy as possible!!

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good luck with your search for new homes for these kitties. I was mentioned above in this thread but honestly I don't know much about the common viruses here. All I know is that it is a good idea to keep them seperated and washing your hands after petting until they are vaccinated.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I moved to Istanbul, Turkey where there are a lot of stray cats. Yesterday I came across a woman dumping some kittens in a quieter part of an otherwise very busy neighborhood. She said they had no mother. They are just under two months and there is a lot of food and water left out, but also a lot of cars. One ran over very scared and I just couldn't leave them to fend for themselves at such a young age, so I took them home with me to find a foster or adoption solution. However, my roommate told me her young cat has yet to be vaccinated and the kittens won't be vaccinated for a few days.

I have kept the kittens alone in my room and I have tried to keep it as clean and sanitary as possible but I was wondering just how worried I should be about the other cat picking up something. Could a virus stick to my clothes or to the soles of my feet? I'm trying to find a new foster home but until then I want to keep every cat as healthy as possible...
Hello L LaurenElizabeth and welcome to TCS! Other posters' suggestions and information are pretty comprehensive, but I just wanted to THANK YOU for taking in the little ones and caring for them.
Though every society has its compassionate and callous components, from what I have heard from many sources, Turkey tends to be a pretty compassionate society when it comes to cats, who have a tradition of being respected and protected in the culture. There are several Turkish TCS members and I am hoping you can dialogue with them. They may be very helpful. *PRAYERS* from the heart for these little ones to find the help and the loving permanent homes they need and deserve! :vibes::vibes::vibes::goldstar::goodluck::cheerleader::catrub:

LaurenElizabeth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello L LaurenElizabeth and welcome to TCS! Other posters' suggestions and information are pretty comprehensive, but I just wanted to THANK YOU for taking in the little ones and caring for them.
Though every society has its compassionate and callous components, from what I have heard from many sources, Turkey tends to be a pretty compassionate society when it comes to cats, who have a tradition of being respected and protected in the culture. There are several Turkish TCS members and I am hoping you can dialogue with them. They may be very helpful. *PRAYERS* from the heart for these little ones to find the help and the loving permanent homes they need and deserve! :vibes::vibes::vibes::goldstar::goodluck::cheerleader::catrub:

It's a complicated issue here, some good, some bad. Thank you for sending positive energy their way!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a complicated issue here, some good, some bad. Thank you for sending positive energy their way!
Yes, I know from Turkish friends that that is the case, as it is everywhere. But for those who respect spiritual tradition and are careful of it, there is a lot of love for the cat. *Have you seen the excellent film, "KEDI"? If you haven't, I urge you to do so!*