Discoloration on cat’s belly

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 2 year-old cat has had discoloration on her belly for the past 3 weeks and I’m hoping someone can help identify the cause. It started after my cat came home from surgery (for intestinal blockage). For a week after the procedure, she was required to wear a dressing (which looked like a large bandaid) over the wound, with a redressing halfway through the week. I noticed subtle discoloration the day the dressing was taken off, which slowly got darker the past two weeks. What immediately came to mind was the bandaid, as the discoloration is exactly where the adhesive parts would have touched. There is also some smaller patches of discoloration near her groin, as seen in the photos, which I can’t explain. My cat hasn’t been itching or grooming it, and I wouldn’t have noticed anything was off if her belly hadnt been shaved.
Please let me know if you have seen this kind of discoloration in your cat.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, is there leftover residue from the dressing? Is her fur coming in darker there?

What does your vet say?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any chance that is just pigmentation due to her fur coloring variations and will be more obvious that is what it is when her hair grows back in?
I wondered that because I truly can’t remember if the skin on her belly was originally pink or if it had those colors but the fur on her belly is white, so I assumed her skin on her belly should be pink.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, is there leftover residue from the dressing? Is her fur coming in darker there?

What does your vet say?
I don’t think it’s residue - I bathed her today because she had poop on her leg but the markings are still there. Her fur there is white.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You may want to mention this to your vet - they may need to consider using a different method or product to adhere to cats' skin.