dirty bottom cat. any ideas?

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My rescued male cat, Fang, is a sweetheart, but he does not clean his bottom.
He is chubby, but I know he can reach it because he reaches it just fine after I give it a good scrub. It is gross, it just builds up and gets caked on there. He has very short hair, so it is out in plain view. Should have named him crusty. I don't wash him every day because he hates when I do it, and for a while, I think I traumatized him because I WAS grabbing him as soon as he stepped out of the litter pan. I had to stop that, because he started running as soon as he was done, spilling litter all over the place. poor thing. Now I wait a few days, and we go into the bathroom, shut the door, and gently clean him, but in the mean time he is sitting on my furniture, and my bed. I am grossed out by it. Is there a way I can teach this guy how to clean his butt?

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many people on this board who hate spraying cats with water as a punishment, and for good reason, but this is different. Its not punishment, for one.
I lived with a cat with this exact problem, and we would spray his butt with the mist setting, absolutely HAS to be the mistiest setting, your not trying to give him a colonic. Then he would clean his own butt, to lick the water off. Eventually he started cleaning his butt without the water. Sort of like a cat-butt carwash. Obviously if he gets upset if you try it, don't do it again.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

There are many people on this board who hate spraying cats with water as a punishment, and for good reason, but this is different. Its not punishment, for one.
I lived with a cat with this exact problem, and we would spray his butt with the mist setting, absolutely HAS to be the mistiest setting, your not trying to give him a colonic. Then he would clean his own butt, to lick the water off. Eventually he started cleaning his butt without the water. Sort of like a cat-butt carwash. Obviously if he gets upset if you try it, don't do it again.
That sounds like a good idea... Oliver too never cleans his bum (well rarely) and I know he can reach it cuz I've seen him do it... males are so lazy! haha... Ollie's isn't nasty every time he comes out of the box, but several times a week he's runnin around with ickies on his bum... he tolerates me, lol, so I just grab him and wipe with a damp paper towel or if it's really bad those grown-up baby wipe things, lol... Ollie gets a bath once a month too, so his "boy parts" get a good scrubbin then, but Ollie LOVES to parade around with his tail in the air and show off his (empty) boy parts (he's neutered, but his scrotum's still there basically) and I dont want bum ickies in my face as he walks by my computer, lol

andrewweilin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so, this is gonna sound kinda gross and is probably not for the squeamish, but i agree that you should look at diet/health. my kittens originally had poopy butts until i brought them to the vet and had fecal exams. after a few checkups and some medication, their poop became much more firm. we were able to keep it consistent with some good quality food.

this is the "not for the squeamish" part. you know how sometimes you go take a #2 in the bathroom and it comes out so awesome that you barely need to wipe? yeah, that's what you're going for with cats since they don't necessarily feel the need to wipe (except on your pillowcase, ewww!).

maybe there's a better answer out there since i'm just speaking from personal experience. good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he does have allergies and without medication his poop is soft. But we corrected that and he now has firm poop, but he does not clean himself and it does build up. Anal juices come out with the poop, and if he doesn't clean it off, it mutipliles, till I am looking at a black eye when he walks by. I check his brothers butts periodically, and they are pristine, so I know this guy is not doing his job. I like the idea of a fine mist, I might give that a try. The problem is the timing. I don't want him to associate the mist with pooping, or I might start him pooping elsewhere. As I said, he is still traumatized by my earlier method, he is hesitant to go when I am in the room. Talk about a memory. I haven't cleaned him right after his doing his business for months, but those 4 or so days still stick in his mind.

jayme&jackson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HELP,

Jackson STINKS...I just called the grooming company, and they will Bathe him for $35.00 That's a alot to pay, as Iam a student.

This is almost a last resort for me, He does groom himself often (Not well enough) I also have tried to help him out, but this doesn't help out either.

I want to bathe him myself but I'm not sure how to do it by myself (I get so stressed when he's unhappy)

Can anyone give some kitty bathing advise?

Thank-You,
Jayme and STINKY Jackson

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by Jayme&Jackson

HELP,

Jackson STINKS...I just called the grooming company, and they will Bathe him for $35.00 That's a alot to pay, as Iam a student.

This is almost a last resort for me, He does groom himself often (Not well enough) I also have tried to help him out, but this doesn't help out either.

I want to bathe him myself but I'm not sure how to do it by myself (I get so stressed when he's unhappy)

Can anyone give some kitty bathing advise?

Thank-You,
Jayme and STINKY Jackson
The key to kitty bathing is YOU being calm... the cat will freak out more when he notices that you are nervous... everyone has different bathing methods depending on the cat's personality... Oliver just gets plopped in the tub in his harness and leash (although he's VERY good about tolerating his baths, what baby wouldnt wanna run around soapy and wet while mommy chases?!) and I just use the detachable shower head and bathe him like I would my dog... some people bathe in their kitchen sinks or in a bucket or rubbermaid container inside their tub.... like I said, you have to be calm or you'll have no chance, haha... you'll probably have to experiment some to figure out the best way to bathe your particular cat... Ollie can tell when it's bath time and will cooperate, but will sit in the tub with wet angry cat face and let out a yowl either while I'm scrubbin the boy parts or when he thinks he's ready to be finished with his bath.... then he gets rubbed down with towels and then wrapped up in dry towels and I hold him until he gets ants in his pants and wants out of the towels...

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried the "misting of behind" and Fang took exception to that, so that won't work. Any other ideas on how to get a cat to clean his own butt?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by andrewweilin

this is the "not for the squeamish" part. you know how sometimes you go take a #2 in the bathroom and it comes out so awesome that you barely need to wipe? yeah, that's what you're going for with cats since they don't necessarily feel the need to wipe (except on your pillowcase, ewww!)
Hahaha, that's the funniest thing I've read today!!
I just had to say that.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First things first, take him to a vet to make sure he doesn't have a medical condition going on that needs to be addressed....and it may just simply be that he needs his anal glands expressed. If it's any consilation, my Siamese
Jasmine has the same problem keeping her bottom cleaned...i've resorted to bathing her bottom in the sink once a week , and using gently baby wipes in between baths...that seems to really help...she doesn't like it, but it's been ruled out as a medical issue, so eithor she cleans it or i attack full force with the baby wipes...fyi jasmine is overweight, so that does contribute to her problem ( she was overweight when i adopted her , but now she is on a kitty diet.) hope that helps. Good luck with your kitty.

laurajackson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well i have a large ginger long haired cat, tinker. his bum can get muckey sometimes when he dosnt clean it. in my experiance this happens when were away and a freind comes in to look after him. i belive he is missing us and simply lets himself go! i know he can clean as he does it 90% of the time. as he is long haired when this happens i take him to the groomers and she shaves his back end, he dosnt get a bath as he hates this but what she uses are some pet wipes from austrail (not sure what there called but smell like johnsons baby wipes) if anyone knows of them please let me know.
anyway that dosnt really help but at least i know my cats not the only pooy bum out there!!
excuss the spelling.
laura.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laura, have you tried asking at Pets At Home, up on the Greyhound (is it still called that?) Retail Estate? They might be able to recommend something or order them in for you!

frawri

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
gailuvscats said:
I tried the "misting of behind" and Fang took exception to that, so that won't work. Any other ideas on how to get a cat to clean his own butt?[/QUOTE

I have to ask, when you say took exception what did he do? I find alot of what I have to do to our cats, they take exception to. But it must be done. If it was just that he didn't like it, I would say that is just too bad. And keep doing it to him. Only of course if it is working. And working is that he does start to lick his behind to get the water off, and ends up getting the poo too.

raggadoll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the same problem with Nimbus my cat - again male as it happens.

I did at one point start putting Vaseline on his bum after he went poo in hope that he's find it ikky and lick it off - (Vaseline is ok - checked with Vet) which he does do BUT not quick enough which bugs me.
Also the other issue i have is that i have trained Nimbus to use the toilet which he does fine on most occasions but likes to do the odd poo on the floor next to the toilet - which for the life of me i cant understand why. (If anyone has any tips on combatting this i would be grateful.)
So for now i am conentrating on getting him to poo in toilet 100% before i battle the ikky bum. Wipes will have to suffice for now.

frawri

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is the web site I used to help me train my cats. But I am not at home enough any more to help them over the first stages, so I can't follow through with it. I think I will try again when I get some time at home.
http://www.karawynn.net/mishacat/toilet.html This place also has a question answer place that you can go to.
Originally Posted by Raggadoll

I have the same problem with Nimbus my cat - again male as it happens.

I did at one point start putting Vaseline on his bum after he went poo in hope that he's find it ikky and lick it off - (Vaseline is ok - checked with Vet) which he does do BUT not quick enough which bugs me.
Also the other issue i have is that i have trained Nimbus to use the toilet which he does fine on most occasions but likes to do the odd poo on the floor next to the toilet - which for the life of me i cant understand why. (If anyone has any tips on combatting this i would be grateful.)
So for now i am conentrating on getting him to poo in toilet 100% before i battle the ikky bum. Wipes will have to suffice for now.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
frawri said:
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I tried the "misting of behind" and Fang took exception to that, so that won't work. Any other ideas on how to get a cat to clean his own butt?[/QUOTE

I have to ask, when you say took exception what did he do? I find alot of what I have to do to our cats, they take exception to. But it must be done. If it was just that he didn't like it, I would say that is just too bad. And keep doing it to him. Only of course if it is working. And working is that he does start to lick his behind to get the water off, and ends up getting the poo too.
Fang is a rescued cat that has suffered homlesness and abuse. When I squirted him, he cowered and ran. I am not even sure I got his butt. I do not want to truamatize him, and his reaction was pretty strong, so I don't think it is a good idea. I have used the bottle to discourage him from knocking over his geriatric sister, so he associates me picking up the bottle with something bad, only this time he wasn't doing anything bad, just walking by, so it isn't going to work.

fuzzy17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has the same problem due to urine more so than feces. He is white and urine seems to be dripping onto his fur - you can tell since the fur in that area is yellow and it smells strong like urine. He is also overweight, but i know that he can reach. Bathing him is out of the question, but I am going to try the suggestion of spraying water on his bottom. It's really starting to become a problem. he loves sleeping with me, but we cannot stand the smell any longer.

mollymoomoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

the best thing to do is use a wet wipe for babies.... its quick and to the point .... spraying with water or anything else is just torture for the cat.... dont do it when the cat is snuggling with you or eating or playing with you or it will associate it with that and stop being near you... just wipe the cat while holding it in your arms tightly and get it over with and the cat will not hate you....just like triming its nails or bathing the cat...you gotta do it and thats it.... same for urine stain and smell....