dipping paws in water bowl??

longhornchick29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two year old cat Hollie likes to dip her paw into the water and lick it off. She does this about four or five times a day. She then shakes her paw to get the water off and acts irritated that her paw is wet. Does anyone else have a cat who does this?

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Comere used to do that. Then, as he got older, he'd drink from the bowl but only if one of his paws was completely in it. Comere used to also like to drink from the faucet and the toilet, and when he drank from the toilet BOTH paws were completely submersed!

I think (guessing) they have a hard time seeing the top of the water in a bowl. They don't want to get their faces wet.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats does that too. After he does it a few times then he goes ahead and drinks from the bowl.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think all my cats have done that at one time or another.
I've read that they do it because they can't judge the water level by looking at the bowl. By dipping their paw in they can tell how deep the water is.

pjrocco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All cats, including big cats do this. They are actually cleaning their paws. You will probably notice it more when they finish eating.

catlady4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two silly cats that do that all the time. To keep the floor dry under the water bowl I put down a rubber bath tub mat. They are happy dipping and licking, so I don't mind at all. I also have a 7 year old that jumps up on the side of the sink to let me know that she wants a drink. She drinks from the slow drip of water coming from the faucet, nothing but the most fresh water for her!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. For some reason (the dog and cats all have the same type of water dish), the cats love drinking out of the dog's water in the kitchen.

But Charlie was so funny other day (they say oci's like water - they were NOT kidding). He accidently put one foot in the water bowl. Looked at the wet foot and licked it dry. Then proceeded to put the OTHER foot on purpose into the water. He also has jumped in the tub twice (without water after the bath) and almost jumped in with water when DH was in there.

So I doubt that I'll have any problems when it comes to washing him

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they have a hard time judging where the water line is , so they use there paws to send a ripple into it. for this reason some people use cat water foutines as the water is always moving , plus they are good for cats who suffer from uri

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Cornish Rex does this all the time. She also likes to dip her paw in running water and lick the water off. Sometimes when I wash my hands, she joins me at the sink to wash her paws.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Sophies 2 years old and she drinks with her paw a lot. I have to change their water bowl twice a day because she usually gets a few grains of litter in
Davidson does the same thing, and then he won't drink the water when there's anything in it! Well little one, if you wouldn't do that, you'd have clean water!

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Forest does this, but he takes it up a notch. First he pokes the water, then he starts scratching on the floor around the water dish. He then proceeds to knock the water dish over.

I just went out a bought a super heavy water dish today. He is so mad right now, he is walking around the house howling.

Now if I can just get him to stop flushing the toilet my life would be perfect.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear that Ollie eats his food out of his paw.
My Gracie has done that all her life, I always thought she was just a little oddball at least now I know it's not so odd!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Momto3Cats - yes, cornish rexes are famous for water playing. All of mine played in water - only one gave me a hard time about a bath.

But I had a rex litter that had to be locked up in the room when washing dishes, cause the ringleaders (red tabby boys) were on the counter in a flash when the water ran and just jumped in the water - soap and all! Then after dishes they would hang around the faucet and just play in the running water - even to the point of water on their heads....nutty rexes

I understand that ocicats have a thing for water - Charlie's already played in it.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Ollie doesnt do it with his water, but occasionally will scoop his kibble out of his bowl and eat it out of his paw... no idea how/why he does it, but it's kinda cute!
That sounds like Palekana. She doesn't actually eat the kibble out of her paw, she drops it on the floor one piece at a time and eats it off the floor. Strange girl.

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Daisy dips her paw in the water bowl all the time. She would shake her paw afterward and goes about drinking from the water bowl. I just put a placemat under the water bowl now so she won't get water all over the floor. My other one doesn't do that at all, so I don't know what's the deal with her. Test the water out? Oh, if only they can talk.......

dbljj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Comere used to do that. Then, as he got older, he'd drink from the bowl but only if one of his paws was completely in it. Comere used to also like to drink from the faucet and the toilet, and when he drank from the toilet BOTH paws were completely submersed!

I think (guessing) they have a hard time seeing the top of the water in a bowl. They don't want to get their faces wet.
Ally

Ally does this although she wets her paw then bathes her ears and face. I wondered why the level is so low every day . Watched her this morning and she bathes that way so I will start rewashing and refilling the water dish before leaving for work. She also gets gets quite a bit on the placemat. I wonde if it is because she is long haired. She has been a real treat to watch but wild as heck when chasing Opie. She will run over, tag him on the head you're it and take off running with him in hot pursuit. Sounds like wild horses running thru the house

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Treasure does this. She likes to wash her paws in her water dish. I gave her an extra bowl to wash her paws since she was doing this after using the litterbox to get them clean. She also likes to get her head wet and will "take a shower" under the faucet in the sink and bathtub.