Dilemma-any Suggestions ?

lorilori

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK HERE IS MY PROBLEM.I MET SOMEONE AND PRETTY MUCH HAVE MOVED IN WITH THEM. I HAVE A 3 YR. OLD CAT AT MY HOUSE STILL. I DRIVE DOWN TO FEED HIM WHICH IS A LITTLE OVER AN HOUR AWAY.THE PERSON I LIVE WITH HAS A 1YR OLD CAT(INDOOR) AND A 1YR OLD BOSTON TERRIER(ALSO INDOOR AND VERY VERY HYPER!!). MY CAT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE ONLY ONE HE ISN'T EVEN REAL COMFORTABLE WITH MANY OTHER PEOPLE BESIDES MYSELF.I KNOW I CANT KEEP UP THE CURRENT SITUATION.THAT ISNT FAIR TO HIM EITHER.BUT I REALLY DONT THINK HE WILL VERY EASILY ADAPT TO MOVING. ESPECIALLY WITH TWO OTHER ANIMALS.HE HAS NEVER BEEN AROUND ANY OTHER ANIMALS BEFORE.AT THE SAME RATE I DONT WANT TO END MY RELATIONSHIP EITHER.
SOMEBODY HELP!MAYBE SOME ENCOURAGING STORIES SIMILAR TO MINE.
THANX-LORI

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would give all 3 a chance before makeing a decision to find him a home. I would bring him over and put him in a room by himself. Let him get used to some of the new smells and sounds. I would try and bring articles with both the cat and dogs scent on it. While you are doing this, you may want to use some Dr Bachs rescue remedy (found at health food stores). It will help to ease his nerves. It is best to give it a chance. As you say your cat is a little on the shy side. It is not in his best interest to go to a new home and owner after 3 years. If ater a few months you cant integrate them, maybe there is someone in the family that would be willing to take him.

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, but after reading your post my suggestion is to place the cat and not have anymore of your own. Obviously your priorities are elsewhere and this is not fair to the pets who are willing to devote themselves to you unconditionally only to be cast aside when the potential for a problem arises. I know this is a little harsh but it's true.

Pete

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you really want to keep your cat, then take Sandie's advice. Your cat will be comforted by your presence. This can work. A friend of mine recently moved. He took his extremely shy cat into a new house, with another person, a hyper dog, and another cat. It took time, but his cat got used to her new situation and is actually more sociable now. Good luck.

elinor

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome. I am sure your cat can adapt to a new situation. Just take Sandies suggestions and it might work out. At least give it a shot.

gap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LoriLori,

I'm glad you're trying to solve your problem. I feel really worried about your kitty being left all alone and you just going to feed him. I think you should either bring him to your new residence and try to integrate him or find a loving home for him. There is a lot of good advice on how to introduce animals to each other on this site.

Pleeese do something and don't just leave him there. He must feel so lonely and abandoned. Think how you would feel. Pets are at the mercy of their owners and don't have any choices. It sounds as if you love him, so please do the right thing for him.