Dilated pupils post anesthesia

HFL2011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I took both of my cats in (11 & 13 years old) for a dental clean on Wed (6/1/22). My 13 yo has bad teeth so I know he needed teeth extractions. My 11 yo ended up needing to have a tooth extracted as well. This isn’t the first time either of them have been put under. They have always recovered pretty fast in the past (within a day). It’s now two days later and while they are both eating, using the litter box, etc, their eyes are still pretty dilated. Is this normal? The anesthesia should have worn off by now. My 11 year old female is still not quite herself (she hides under the bed) but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I’ve been giving her liquid clindamycin which she absolutely hates as it is bitter. Both of them are also on meloxicam for pain (for only two days). I’ve given both of them only one dose so far but am wondering if I should hold off on giving them the second one. I know that drug has some pretty bad side effects, and her behavior (hiding, being somewhat sleepy) is probably also related to that. I don’t think the eyes being dilated is a side effect though. Could it just be that it’s taking them a bit longer to clear all the drugs they got two days ago?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is from the anesthesia or even the pain meds you are giving. I would hold off some or give them less. I've only had one cat have extractions, but he did fine on no pain meds.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If it has been while since the last time they received anesthesia, their systems have likely slowed down some due to aging, and it can take drugs longer to clear when that happens. It might be worth it to hold off on the last dose of pain meds, but I still think you should call the vet and tell them what you are seeing, just out of precaution given the age of your cats.