Digging In Planter Boxes

bluebirdy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two generally well-behavioured teenage cats. I've been able to plan around or redirect a few problematic behaviours that have shown up in the last year.

Both of my cats enjoy chewing plants. I removed all plants from my house until recently. I use apple spray to keep them of the plants i don't want them to eat, and have planted a small garden of grass/catnip to redirect them to.

I have also planted a box of seeds to grow a new herb garden in my kitchen. My cats have been digging in the planter and making a HUGE mess all over my kitchen.

These cats were inside-outside (were allowed a few hours outside during the day) when we lived in a small rural area. This only lasted a few months before we returned to the city and they became full-time inside cats with some leash walks (and escapes when they have managed it). This is likely where they learned to dig in dirt.

When they did this in my aunts home (we briefly lived with her due to emergency renos), I placed rocks all over the dirt in her large tree pots. However, this isn't practical in a herb garden.

Any hints for discouraging this digging behaviour so I don't have to throw out my herb garden before it's even grown in. I miss having fresh herbs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluebirdy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here’s a thread that gives some great advice: Cat digging in plant pots

And regarding the chewing: How To Stop Problem Chewing In Cats

Do you have any chew toys for them? The “wiggle worm” is one that my Charlie likes.
Thank you abyeb, that thread was great. I will try some tin foil.

I tried a number of chew toys when they were younger but neither is interested in chewing anything aside from plants (and licking plastic but thankfully they never bite at it). They also continue to knead on any blankets available (one in particular). I don't mind them chewing the cat grass, though they often devour it so fast that it can't grown enough to keep up.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
your avatar kitty is so cute :) you can just see the mischief in that face ... lol I will be honest, i gave up on any plants in my house. I never could get mine to leave them alone. They were fine when we were home, but soon as we left the house it was game on :( Best of luck to you, you may have more staying power than i did.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluebirdy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The bitter apple spray seems to have deterred them from the larger plants. I'm looking to see if there's anything that I can use to cover the planter. Otherwise I may get a set of planters that hand from the wall so I can put them out of reach.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first 2 evil thoughts are chili powder & orange peels. Either sprinkling chili powder on the soil once a week or putting orange/grapefruit peels on top of your planters soil every week or two.

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
This has been a big problem for us! We love our garden, and have plants everywhere. My hudband made a cat run and catio, and Pepe loves to destroy plants. Smokey her brother, not so much. She eats them, digs them up, putting dirt everywhere, and even runs off and hides them! I have found whole pot plants in the house she has taken out the pot! Once I put large river stones in all my pot plants and planters, it stopped. Bit expensive, but it worked. Not small ones, they are fun to pick out! Good luck!