Digging At Smooth Surfaces

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sometimes my little man Oscar digs at smooth surfaces like my laptop, the coffee table, the sink, mirrors etc. It isn't kneading more like it looks like what he does when he buries in his litter box. I don't mind it I just want to make sure he isn't trying to tell me something. It may be worth noting that about a month ago we had some litter box drama (but that seems to be fine now that he and his brother have more boxes and better food-41 days no accidents). Also after he does it sometimes in the sink or on my laptop he plops down and gets comfy.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After 20 years of owning cats all I can say are cats are weird lol. I had a board game leaning against the living room wall and my cat scratched at that similar to how you said. I will add on though that when my cat wants outside she scratches like that on ANYTHING to get my attention. You cat is probably just trying to get your attention.

Jayess94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat sometimes does that too on the tile. I think it is their instinct to bury poop and sometimes food if they were in the wild. It is probably a natural expression of that desire, I would suggest maybe looking at the cat's nails to see if they need to be trimmed but other than that just seems like weird cat behavior like Jen said. :)

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat digs at my polar fleese jumper, quite violently, before a cuddle. It is something she does every now and then before getting comfortable.

jackie.o

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat does exactly the same thing. She "digs" at herself in any mirror she can find, and meows loudly while she does it. She also does it on other standing hard surfaces. I was worried at first too, but definitely just cats being cats :redtabby: