Digestive Upsets

lovecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats, Emmett, had been having loose stool off and on this month. He has have a few incidences of diarrhea and vomiting as well. The vet checked for parasites and he came up clean. My other cat, Zoe, suddenly had diarrhea and vomited today.

I tried giving Emmet the Applaws Chicken cans/pouches but that seemed to make it worse.

The dry food they have been eating for more than one year. This is a new bag bought at the start of June.

They do go in my yard supervised and eat grass.

I am at a loss for what to do for them.

Food:
Purina Beyond Simply Chicken oatmeal (both)
Fancy Feast Classic Chicken Feast (Zoe)
Fancy Feast Classic Salmon Feast (Emmett)
Sheba Salmon Pate (Emmett)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Call your Vet and let them know that now BOTH cats are having the same issue. It's obviously something, either a parasite that is contagious, or a bad bag of food. I have not heard of any of these foods being recently recalled, but that doesn't mean once a bag is opened it can't get contaminated somehow. If it's really humid up there where you live, could it have molded?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I did call them yesterday and told them the other was having issues. No real answer from them other than "its probably the grass".

I am not sure happy with them anyways since they charged me $95 to do a fecal test for parasites and giardia.

I did replace the bag of dry in case it was a bad bag.

I am not sure what my cats could have caught by walking in my fenced in yard. They do walk in the grass and lay in it. There is a pot of cat grass growing out there for them.

Zoe ended up having the same issue as Emmett...soft poo, then pudding, then one vomit. It happened to him 3x this month and her once. It lasts one day, then they don't poop for a day or so. Next poop is ok at the start then gets softer/squishy at the end (sorry, graphic!).

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's been happening to my kitty, Noah, lately. He goes diarrhea, doesn't poo for a day, the next poo okay and then does soft poo a few days later. Now back to diarrhea again. Been happening the last few weeks.

I switched his food. He was eating Fancy Feast classic food and I determined he was becoming intolerant to it.

I am now giving him Instinct canned and he hasn't had any runny poos last few days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's been happening to my kitty, Noah, lately. He goes diarrhea, doesn't poo for a day, the next poo okay and then does soft poo a few days later. Now back to diarrhea again. Been happening the last few weeks.

I switched his food. He was eating Fancy Feast classic food and I determined he was becoming intolerant to it.

I am now giving him Instinct canned and he hasn't had any runny poos last few days.
Wow, that sounds just like mine! Any chance your Classic cans were sell by May 2018?

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow.. $95 for a fecal test is a lot! My vet is on the expensive side, (I choose them for many reasons over the less expensive vets in my area), I just had a fecal test done for giardia and parasites and it cost me less than $30 Canadian.

I wish I had some insight. I would suggest pumpkin for fiber and probiotics but now that both your cats are affected it's a different ballgame imo. They've either both gotten into something, or Emmett has passed along what he has to Zoe. I assume they share litter? Did your vet put him on antibiotics just in case? My Copper did a round of antibiotics because the vet said bacteria aren't tested for in the fecal and could be causing his loose stools.

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, that sounds just like mine! Any chance your Classic cans were sell by May 2018?
I'd try eliminating FF from the diet and see what happens. Instinct canned doesn't have carageenan and I've heard it can cause diarrhea.