Digestive issues???

mrotman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 8 month old kitten who weighs 12 lbs. and has a voracious appetite would not eat his breakfast the other morning. He did however, chase and eat pieces of kibble that I threw to him. I found a puddle on the basement floor that was slightly blood tinged. He later ate a huge dinner and seemed like his normal self. My vet thought it was possibly gastritis and was going to prescribe meds, but then he was fine by dinnertime. The past 2 days, he has also been fine, though it took him some time to eat his b'fast, but he has been running around and wrestling with his sister. Today, once again-puddle on the floor and would not eat b'fast until a couple hours later. My vet recommended Fortiflora but also thought he should been seen since it has happened twice now. I have to find another vet b/c she is out of town--any other thoughts/suggestions from anyone?

Koolkat13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 8 month old kitten who weighs 12 lbs. and has a voracious appetite would not eat his breakfast the other morning.
I found a puddle on the basement floor that was slightly blood tinged.
I’m a little confused. You say you’re finding blood tinged puddles, which suggests it is urine. But your vet says “possibly gastritis” which is an inflamed stomach lining. Those are two separate systems.
I’m going to assume the puddles are urine for now & share my experience. Blood in urine is never normal or ok. It can indicate many things. We’ll focus on the most likely (least scary) & easiest to treat. Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) or Bladder Crystals. The vet will need to take a sterile sample of your cat’s urine. They stick a needle directly into the bladder. It sounds terrifying but it isn’t too painful (for kitty). Sometimes it’s harder for us to watch them go through it.
Common symptoms of UTIs are nausea, lack of appetite, & avoiding the litter box. Peeing is painful & they can’t speak so that’s how they communicate. It sounds like your little one is conflicted between feeling sick & also being an energetic kitten. (Playing with his sister).
I went through this for 12 years with my own poor kitty. He ultimately died, too young, of kidney stones.
Yes, do find a new vet. The advice from your first vet baffles me. Focus on a urinary diagnosis.
In the long run, I’d say keep that cat on an all wet food diet. Dry food dehydrates cats & if he’s having issues like this at such a young age, I’m sorry to say it might be something that will become a chronic issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrotman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I see how you're confused. They are puddles, but they're mucosy (which I neglected to mention) which makes me think it's stomach-related. So, he had 2 episodes since Friday (1 Tuesday, 1 Friday). Since that time, he has been acting like his normal self, though when I put his food down in the morning, he doesn't devour it immediately. A little later though, he does eat. I have an appt. for Monday.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
We are not vets, but from your description of mucus in the blood tinged puddles it does sound gastrointestinal. This may certainly be a form of gastritis which is treatable, so going to the vet is the best option. Continued presence of blood always needs attention regardless of where it is from.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrotman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you-he has an appt. Mon. Fortunately, there have not been any other incidents...thinking he may have eaten something he shouldn't have, so I'm hoping no more issues.