Difficult Rehoming Decision.

Lucy Lue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've received great advice recently on what to do with my snowshoe.
Playful, curious, bossy. I was told getting her a cat friend(with detailed rules on what kind of cat) started to really worry me. The reason I got a cat was because I wasn't ready for a dog. I Move about every year and working long hours. Little did I know this breed would require lots of my time, not only that a snowshoe that wasn't exposed to any other animals...so she's not very fond of pets and doesn't like going outside. I've read some articles about "problems" with cats and she really isn't a problem cat...no excessive meowing, no peeing in other places than her litter box, nothing like that. She's very playful, plays fetch and follows me around in the house everywhere. Just the thought of getting another cat overwhelmes me, but leaving her alone saddens me. I don't have anyone to watch her when I go out of town,or play while I'm away. I think about the fact that I will end up having her for 18+ years and that itself gives me anxiety. Yes it was a foolish, irresponsible decision of me to adopt her without knowing much about the breed. The elderly woman I got her from had her since she was a kitten so i didnt have the opportunity to expose her to much when i recieved her at 3 months old. (Shes now 11 months) Right now I'm torn, I'm considering rehoming her, (not taking her to a shelter) for whats best for her for the next 18 years or so. I plan on having a baby within the next year, traveling etc. Will she be able to adjust to a new owner? I don't know much about rehoming animals... I would be giving them all of my cat items (an entire spare bedroom full)lol.
So the question here is since Marley has been with me for almost a year will she be able to adjust to a new owner?

20170521_185501.jpg
20170521_190348.jpg
IMG-20170504-WA0009.jpg
20170508_125252.jpg
20170509_120613.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lucy Lue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What you've got there is a snowshoe actually not a Siamese.
I thought a snowshoe was a American short hair mixed with a siamese ? Atleast that's what I've read... So it was considered a snowshoe siamese?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I really hope you decide to keep her. Being almost a year old her chances of adoption are reduced drastically.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lucy Lue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is the reason I'm not taking her to a shelter because I'm aware there are plenty of cats that need adopting every year. My concern was with her most being a year old would she adjust to a new owner. I'm not sure if that's what you were referring to? Or just the fact that she won't find anyone to take her with her age? I've possibly already found someone who wants her.
I really hope you decide to keep her. Being almost a year old her chances of adoption are reduced drastically.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
If you feel you must give her away make sure this is someone you know will take good care of her.

There can be an adjustment period with these cats if you have a firm bond.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't have a breed issue; you have a cat issue. It sounds like you don't really want to keep the cat, so I think you should find her a home that's a better fit. Cats are not gateway pets. They all have their own personalities, and demand a lot of you as you are solely responsible for their well being.

FriendOfTheCatBoys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Put some time into finding a really good
Home for her and make sure that it is somebody who has the time dedication and desire to keep her for the rest of her life. It will be a difficult transition but she sounds like a well adjusted cat so she will bounce back fine. She will be better off. I suggest you refrain from obtaining any pets in the future.