Difficult Ethical Question On Euthanesia Of Beloved Cat, Help

Sylvia Grace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so so sorry to hear about your furbaby! I'm going through something similar with my cat, except he has a diagnosis of terminal cancer. The decision making is one of the hardest parts, since their life is in your hands and you want to do right by them. I've noticed with Heisenberg that his symptoms have gotten better after a few weeks of the medicines.

You might try giving your cat kitten milk replacer. We offered my crazy old man everything we could think of, and that's the one thing he consistently likes. Another thing is to feed them by hand (on a spoon or in a bowl in your hand), sometimes that works a bit better.

Sending you and your kitty lots of love! ♥

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ara11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so so sorry to hear about your furbaby! I'm going through something similar with my cat, except he has a diagnosis of terminal cancer. The decision making is one of the hardest parts, since their life is in your hands and you want to do right by them. I've noticed with Heisenberg that his symptoms have gotten better after a few weeks of the medicines.

You might try giving your cat kitten milk replacer. We offered my crazy old man everything we could think of, and that's the one thing he consistently likes. Another thing is to feed them by hand (on a spoon or in a bowl in your hand), sometimes that works a bit better.

Sending you and your kitty lots of love! ♥
Sylvia, have you gotten past the sick feeling constantly in your stomach since its been a few weeks? Do you still wake each morning and go to see if he's breathing? Do you continue with your life or just stay in except for work or necessities to watch him and let him know you are there? How do you go on frankly?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really sorry this is happening Ara =(
I have a few cats that are impossible to pill. I've found success by crushing the pill with a spoon, adding a few drops of water or liquid broth (I like broth so it flavors it) and sucking the mess into a syringe. Adding too much liquid will make the syringe unable to contain it all, so I only use a few drops.
I am not a fan of liquid meds and cats for fear of aspiration, but I've found if I do a drop or two at a time, remove the syringe, let them swallow and go from there they're good. Hopefully if anyone has anything to add on this they'll chime in.
I've been unlucky enough to deal with terminally ill or dying pets, and that sick feeling stayed with me for awhile. I don't ditch everything in my life, because it's not good for us to become more and more depressed (they pick up on that, and it affects them too!) but certain things I do occasionally for fun are put on the back burner.
One of my cats loved baby food (check labels; no onions allowed!) and another, like Sylvia's, did like baby food.
I mentioned nutri-cal/nutri-stat in another post. I don't know what the other experiences here have been, but ours have been good in keeping calories in cats off their food, as well as offering a bit of an appetite boost.

So, so sorry you have to deal with this. It seems if we choose euthanasia, we second guess that wondering if they would have come around but if they pass away on their own we feel bad because we feel we should have done something, etc. You're not alone in this, not at all. ((hugs))

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not good at pilling, either, so I've done the same as 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 , dissolving meds in a small amount of water and syringing it.

I've also used baby food to supplement when old or sick kitties don't eat like they should. Beechnut and Gerber's have baby food with just meat and gravy with no spices or other ingredients.

So sorry you and your little boy are going through this. :hugs:

ara11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm really sorry this is happening Ara =(
I have a few cats that are impossible to pill. I've found success by crushing the pill with a spoon, adding a few drops of water or liquid broth (I like broth so it flavors it) and sucking the mess into a syringe. Adding too much liquid will make the syringe unable to contain it all, so I only use a few drops.
I am not a fan of liquid meds and cats for fear of aspiration, but I've found if I do a drop or two at a time, remove the syringe, let them swallow and go from there they're good. Hopefully if anyone has anything to add on this they'll chime in.
I've been unlucky enough to deal with terminally ill or dying pets, and that sick feeling stayed with me for awhile. I don't ditch everything in my life, because it's not good for us to become more and more depressed (they pick up on that, and it affects them too!) but certain things I do occasionally for fun are put on the back burner.
One of my cats loved baby food (check labels; no onions allowed!) and another, like Sylvia's, did like baby food.
I mentioned nutri-cal/nutri-stat in another post. I don't know what the other experiences here have been, but ours have been good in keeping calories in cats off their food, as well as offering a bit of an appetite boost.

So, so sorry you have to deal with this. It seems if we choose euthanasia, we second guess that wondering if they would have come around but if they pass away on their own we feel bad because we feel we should have done something, etc. You're not alone in this, not at all. ((hugs))
1Bruce1, thank you. You are so correct in your last paragraph. Just saying the word makes me sick but hurting him or causing harm to him makes me sicker. The vet put a dab of food on his finger this morning and pushed it back of upper palate and it went down. Its the not knowing how much to do. This moment, I don't know to haul him out of closet onto bed while I'm on computer - which he used to do on his own -- a week ago, or to let him be. He can walk so if he wanted to, he would come to me. I guess.

tessie7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. In the same boat with my 11 year old except without a firm diagnosis. 2 vets are stumped why the sudden lethargy and lack of eating. She's extra cuddly with me so I'm not sure if that means she knows she's sick and that I'm sad. Cherishing every moment.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1Bruce1, thank you. You are so correct in your last paragraph. Just saying the word makes me sick but hurting him or causing harm to him makes me sicker. The vet put a dab of food on his finger this morning and pushed it back of upper palate and it went down. Its the not knowing how much to do. This moment, I don't know to haul him out of closet onto bed while I'm on computer - which he used to do on his own -- a week ago, or to let him be. He can walk so if he wanted to, he would come to me. I guess.
Whenever mine aren't feeling good, they find a spot to hole up in and stay there. Closets and random boxes are favorites. Even my most special cat (who's very dog like and a huge attention seeker) wants to be left alone when she's sick. She was injured once and even touching her caused her to growl! It's upsetting :(
((Hug))

ara11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1bruce1, he sometimes purrs when I go in closet to pet. I don't think its pain but the vet said he might purr because hes depressed. Ofcourse I only hear it when I am deep in awkward closet (not a walk in) so I don't know if he does it at other times. The blanket has been dry 24 hours. I skipped his night time petmedin (another quandary: is it making him too tired or nauseous to eat or is it helping his heart and the CHF is making him nauseous and too tired to eat?) he ate/drank 4 licks tuna water all day.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1bruce1, he sometimes purrs when I go in closet to pet. I don't think its pain but the vet said he might purr because hes depressed. Ofcourse I only hear it when I am deep in awkward closet (not a walk in) so I don't know if he does it at other times. The blanket has been dry 24 hours. I skipped his night time petmedin (another quandary: is it making him too tired or nauseous to eat or is it helping his heart and the CHF is making him nauseous and too tired to eat?) he ate/drank 4 licks tuna water all day.
I was hoping he had eaten more :(
I had a dog in CHF. When he went from a heart problem to CHF itself, he went days without eating, drinking, etc. Meds were syringed, and he didn't poop for days. I think the meds were making him nauseated at first but after awhile they didn't seem to. He also was having problems with his back (he had arthritis, and we all suspected having X-rays was rough for him). For a week or so it was really touch and go.
I hate that feeling. Like me, you don't want your pet to suffer but at the same time if they've hit a rough patch and have more time left, you hate to rob them of that.
I hope you're both doing better today.

ara11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was hoping he had eaten more :(
I had a dog in CHF. When he went from a heart problem to CHF itself, he went days without eating, drinking, etc. Meds were syringed, and he didn't poop for days. I think the meds were making him nauseated at first but after awhile they didn't seem to. He also was having problems with his back (he had arthritis, and we all suspected having X-rays was rough for him). For a week or so it was really touch and go.
I hate that feeling. Like me, you don't want your pet to suffer but at the same time if they've hit a rough patch and have more time left, you hate to rob them of that.
I hope you're both doing better today.
Thanks for sharing. Yes, he got up to eat- off vetmedin- but only a tad and went back in closet. Its a week now but the 2 times he tried to eat was off the medicine but then I'm not helping his heart. He will get his morning dose because I need to help his heart shrink but he also needs to eat. Most animals, esp dogs are supposed to do well on this medicine..who knows about my baby. He and I are both exhausted but your remarks are spot on and are a help to me. Did your dog eventually do well? Thank you.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Sylvia, have you gotten past the sick feeling constantly in your stomach since its been a few weeks? Do you still wake each morning and go to see if he's breathing? Do you continue with your life or just stay in except for work or necessities to watch him and let him know you are there? How do you go on frankly?
:grouphug2::grouphug:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. In the same boat with my 11 year old except without a firm diagnosis. 2 vets are stumped why the sudden lethargy and lack of eating. She's extra cuddly with me so I'm not sure if that means she knows she's sick and that I'm sad. Cherishing every moment.
:grouphug::grouphug2:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing. Yes, he got up to eat- off vetmedin- but only a tad and went back in closet. Its a week now but the 2 times he tried to eat was off the medicine but then I'm not helping his heart. He will get his morning dose because I need to help his heart shrink but he also needs to eat. Most animals, esp dogs are supposed to do well on this medicine..who knows about my baby. He and I are both exhausted but your remarks are spot on and are a help to me. Did your dog eventually do well? Thank you.
:grouphug2::hearthrob: ara, I just ran across this thread and wanted to tell you how sad for you and your fur babys I feel. Is your poor confused girl still hissing at Puma? Is he your avatar? I went through the agonizing decision a very long time ago with my beloved old pony Dusty but it was not a rapid deterioration and was a matter of not letting him suffer through another winter which he would not have made it through. What ever happens remember that you have a wonderful support team here at TCS. Always feel free to vent and please keep us updated. :grouphug::redheartpump::bigeyes::hearthrob:

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you haven't, would there be any way to call the vet or stop in for a visit and ask about maybe another medicine, or maybe even something for his appetite? Our dog seemed to do well on this medicine but it took awhile, or it felt like it as when they feel off we feel off, too. After his initial bout of not feeling well, he seemed as good as new, almost better. I hope you have those good results, too once this trying time passes :grouphug:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
:grouphug2: He may feel safe in the closet but still want you near. Maybe sit or lay on a blanket near the closet door and see if he comes close to you. Just talk to him and let him hear the love in your voice.:grouphug:

ara11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Puma (male) is the beautiful cat in photo. His BP is a little low (and he had been off med over 24 hours so when he gets the med it gets lower) and when I told vet he lies around after the med he said skip it tomorrow. Thing is, is the medicine making him tired or the CHF? Tough call. I believe he was in end stage heart disease - seemed sudden diagnosed Jan 22 (thus they offered euthanasia as an option). Murmur grade 5 and left atrial/ventricle failure. Like some of you said, you don't know if doing too much or too little.
Were any of you offered that option as part of the diagnostic visit work up?

ara11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:grouphug2: He may feel safe in the closet but still want you near. Maybe sit or lay on a blanket near the closet door and see if he comes close to you. Just talk to him and let him hear the love in your voice.:grouphug:
I would sleep in the closet if he wanted but he takes the affection I give and then wants peace.

ara11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you haven't, would there be any way to call the vet or stop in for a visit and ask about maybe another medicine, or maybe even something for his appetite? Our dog seemed to do well on this medicine but it took awhile, or it felt like it as when they feel off we feel off, too. After his initial bout of not feeling well, he seemed as good as new, almost better. I hope you have those good results, too once this trying time passes :grouphug:
He feels we could force a little food down his throat. That is so difficult and I don't want to be perceived as his torturer.
I'm doing the best I can, but its never enough, I know. Maybe I should understand he too is doing the best he can, and it isn't enough....

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ara, I'm so sorry that you're going through this with Puma. I had a similar experience
with my 15-year old cat, Gwen, who had a heart condition and died back in November.
We tried a bunch of different ways to get her to take her meds, but it was a constant
struggle. Mercifully, she didn't seem to blame us for forcing pills down her throat every
night, but we all hated doing it. With daily meds, she made it for about three months after
her heart issues were diagnosed, and she had good weeks and bad weeks. The good ones
were a gift and the bad ones were torture. I don't know if I would do anything differently
even after thinking about it for months, so I don't think there's a right answer...it's so hard
to have to choose not being able to ask your cat what s/he wants. I do think that, deep down,
he knows you're doing your very best to care for him, and understands that he's loved and
supported.