Different sized pupils

Kayeff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I know that different sized pupils are a sign of injury in cats. I just looked at my cat and could’ve sworn one of his pupils was a little bigger than the other but it was hard to tell. So my question is, is it noticeable when they’re different sizes? I looked at images on google and all of them showed cats with severely different sized pupils.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If the change is sudden, it could mean that something is going on. It does not have to be a directly visible injury to the external eye itself. If it is something that your cat has always had, you could probably wait for the next vet visit to bring it up....if nothing changes in the meantime. Just remember that what causes this, if it were to be serious, can range from an eye injury, to an eye condition which may need treatment, to an infectious illness. I have an outdoor feral who has been that way her whole life, with one pupil smaller than the other, but not extremely so and she is in good health. Since we are not with your cat and can't diagnose, you need to watch him carefully and make the decision as to whether or not you think he needs to see the vet now.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Generally, a difference in pupil due to disease or injury is pretty noticeable. Keep an eye on this, and if it gets more distinct, take him in. If not, when he does go in, discuss it with your vet. And of course, if there are any big changes in eating, drinking, litter habits, activity, take him in right away.