Different behaviours in different houses?

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Long time no see! I missed TCS! I've been so busy with school and work (and my cat) 

I've been bringing Ming over to my grandparent's house about every week - sometimes twice a week - because my grandpa suffers from Alzheimer's and one of the things that always gets him out of his room and makes him happy, is seeing Ming. Since my grandpa can't and won't leave his home, I bring Ming to him!

Ming SEEMS relatively calm when we're driving the 10 minutes from my house to my grandparent's. However, I do know it's still stressful for him. He sometimes will start licking his lips by the end of the trip. I don't put him in a carrier. I just let him roam around in the car. Usually, I'm in the back while my mom is driving so it's "less" dangerous.

When Ming arrives at my grandparents, he will usually go to scratch at his litter box and sometimes even urinate. Sometimes we're there just before his meal time so I'll feed him and he'll poop too. 

The thing is, he'll sometimes pee 1-2 times and always poop when we're at my grandparent's house. Could this be stressful behaviour? Or is he just marking his territory? 

Aside from the more frequent elimination, he'll rest on the couch most of the visit and even fall into a deep sleep where he's dreaming and even snoring. At home, usually, if I go sit next to him on the couch, he'll leave or move away. He doesn't like being too close to people but at my grandparent's house, he'll let you sit really close to him and even fall asleep with his back against anyone's leg. 

At home, he'll follow me around from room to room. At my grandparent's house, he does his own thing - sniffs around, goes up and down the stairs to explore the different rooms, or lounges on the couch with my grandparents. 

Today, he even jumped between my uncles lega to rest and sleep for a bit! He NEVER does that! 

Could he be a tad bit stressed at my grandparent's house and is seeking comfort? Although, the sleeping and lounging around kind of makes me think he likes it at my grandparent's more than at home. 

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He most definitely is stressed when he visits your grandparents.  It is not his usual space and he is very unsure how to act. 

A few things come to mind:  First off for the safety of your kitty, he must be in a carrier when you are in the car.  Accidents happen and I know you do not want anything to happen to your precious cat.  He also could get frightened and scare the driver of the car causing an accident.  Please put him into a cat carrier.  If he gets nervous there, you can use some Comfort Zone phermone spray before the trip as this will help to calm him down.  You also could try some Composure calming treats.  Another tip is to cover the carrier with a sheet or towel as this often calms the cat.

You mention the cat licking his lips.  This can be a sign of nausea.  The ride in the car might be making him feel sick to his stomach.  Be careful about what he eats before you leave home and don't let him each too much before he leaves to go back home. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He most definitely is stressed when he visits your grandparents.  It is not his usual space and he is very unsure how to act. 

A few things come to mind:  First off for the safety of your kitty, he must be in a carrier when you are in the car.  Accidents happen and I know you do not want anything to happen to your precious cat.  He also could get frightened and scare the driver of the car causing an accident.  Please put him into a cat carrier.  If he gets nervous there, you can use some Comfort Zone phermone spray before the trip as this will help to calm him down.  You also could try some Composure calming treats.  Another tip is to cover the carrier with a sheet or towel as this often calms the cat.

You mention the cat licking his lips.  This can be a sign of nausea.  The ride in the car might be making him feel sick to his stomach.  Be careful about what he eats before you leave home and don't let him each too much before he leaves to go back home. 
Got it! I'll put him in his carrier the next time we go. I thought it'd be less stressful without the carrier but safety first.

Do you think a visit every week is too much for the cat?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Got it! I'll put him in his carrier the next time we go. I thought it'd be less stressful without the carrier but safety first.

Do you think a visit every week is too much for the cat?
See how he does when he is in the carrier.  He seems to do well there and your grandfather really enjoys seeing him.  You will know when it becomes too stressful for you to take him.  If you take him weekly, he might get used to the routine and start to enjoy it.